PDA

View Full Version : Round Duct Routing Question

kyle.bernhardt
2007-06-11, 04:13 PM
I'm spawning a new thread for this issue, as it does not relate to the main topic of Duct Fitting Content.

Recap:
[Jbaumann]*************************************
Kyle,

It seems that many of the requests so far in this thread are for elements that already work well in Revit MEP such as rectangular ducts with rectangular or round taps.

However, one very common round duct system that our firm uses primarily does not work. This is a round duct main with a Round Tapered body Wye fitting for branches. The sizing and design standards we use are basic friction loss and velocity calculations which already seem to work well in Revit. The only way we can create this type of system in Revit is to place it segment by segment and manually size each branch and fitting.

The attached screen shots show a desired system layout created by AutoCAD and another screen shot shows the most complete system that Revit will create. By the way, after creating this system in Revit it cannot size itself without multiple errors which cancel the sizing process. This fitting "Round Duct Tapered Body Lateral Wye.rfa" is a default family that comes with Revit but cannot be created in a complete system by ourselves or the Revit Development team per Support Request #: 1-1588781711.

A good majority of the content you provide now or will provide in the future, we will likely modify to our firms standards, but we really need a functioning base to work from and this type of system is currently our biggest headache.

By the way, thanks for this post and ...

I got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell!

[Kyle.bernhardt]**********************************
Hey, I put my pants on one leg at a time, just like everybody else...;)

It looks like some of the issues you had with that fitting have been fixed in the 2008 release. At least I was able to produce the layout you were looking for on my machine. I could not however, get the sizing to work for that layout without getting errors. I just brought it to the attention of one of our developers and he said to log it so they can investigate. We'll see what they say about this one.

We are aware that a few pieces of our content does not work properly at the moment, and we're working to get everything in order. I can't go into any more detail than that, but don't be suprised to see some big things with content moving forward.

Cheers,
Kyle B

[jlondenberg]****************************************************
Kyle,

Is there any chance we can get a brief step by step for that round duct system. I'm using 08 but it still doesn't work as I expect.

kyle.bernhardt
2007-06-11, 04:34 PM
I made up a video illustrating the creation of this system in Revit MEP 2008. Keep in mind there is an issue with running our Duct Sizing tools on the Tapered Wye Fitting at this time, but the layout itself can be created with ease.

Questions are welcome, but videos usually tell the tale.

Cheers,
Kyle B

JoelLondenberg
2007-06-12, 03:38 PM
Kyle,

Thanks much for the vid. I really appreciate your participation.

It turns out that I was modeling in the same way you showed in the video. As Jarrod said in the original post, it can be done but only 100% manually. Is there any update on when this might get better?

A couple of specifics to make the work flow faster:
- Automagic sizing (you already noted that it's being worked on)
- I'd especially like to adjust the system family setting to use the wye and then just draw the main duct as you did then draw duct branches connecting to the main and have it add the wye where needed

Also, is there any benefit to making a "system" out of the air terminals and ac unit if you are not using the auto routing?