PDA

View Full Version : USB thumb drive

Wanderer
2004-07-28, 02:10 PM
Why does my portable hard drive refuse to let me eject it? I have all programs closed, but, I try to do a safe removal and get the error that it cannot be stopped right now and to try again later.

I end up having to log off, log back in, and then it does it just fine. How can I determine what is still accessing it? Or is this just an error with it?

Thanks for any ideas (kingston 128mb)

Glenn Pope
2004-07-28, 03:20 PM
This is about the only thing I could find. It's from a microsoft news group.

>-----Original Message-----
>My USB thumb drive works correctly in two of the three
machines I use it on. On the primary machine, a Micron
Transport laptop running XP pro, I get a message "The
device 'Generic volume' cannot be stopped right now. Try
stopping the device again later." All programs are closed
with only the operating system running. Didn't see
anything in the help menu to fix this problem. Any ideas
would be appreciated.
>.
>

This will happen when using an application that saved
onto the thumb drive. Close the application first then
stop the thumb drive for removal, or save you work to the
desktop then drag into the thumb drive folder when done
using the application.

On my XP Home machine I just remove the thumb drive without stopping it and it never gripes at me about it. Now, my 2K machine will and so I do stop it on that one. So far I haven't had a problem with corrupt data.

BrenBren
2004-07-28, 03:47 PM
On my XP Home machine I just remove the thumb drive without stopping it and it never gripes at me about it. Now, my 2K machine will and so I do stop it on that one. So far I haven't had a problem with corrupt data.
My DH trashed one by ejecting it from a laptop without stopping it. Ejecting it from my desktop at work and at home have never been an issue, but he has had issues with ejecting it from a laptop that was docked. I don't know why.

Wanderer
2004-07-28, 04:06 PM
This is about the only thing I could find. It's from a microsoft news group.
This will happen when using an application that saved
onto the thumb drive. Close the application first then
stop the thumb drive for removal, or save you work to the
desktop then drag into the thumb drive folder when done
using the application.

Sounds like my problem, but, I do close the application first. I make sure the apps that accessed it are all closed, even if I didn't save. Word, acrobat or even win explorer.

I could try doing the folder thing, but, that would be almost as much of a hassle.

Thanks for the advice!

Oh, just a note, does this on xp pro, no errors on xp home, no errors on laptop with 2000, and no option to eject on my laptop (I think is win 98), I sometimes get an error pulling it out, so I shut down first, then remove.