PDA

View Full Version : Pipe Connectors

thoellering
2007-06-19, 05:19 PM
Not certain if this was covered before. When one places a pipe connector, take care where you place it. If one selects a PLANE, then the blue flipping arrows will not Flip the Connector Arrow. If one places the connector on a FACE, then one can flip the arrow of the connector back and forth. Took me hours to figure that one out. Nothing in the Help File about that either. I'd love to know why it does that. Also, how can one tell which way the NORMALS are facing in Revit...? There is a command "Flip Normals", buit I still find that one useless unless one can tell which way they are facing to begin with...other than in a rendered view? Not certain that I have even noticed a Normal in Revit yet...not like the normals in VIZ per say at least.

Also, connectors do not seem to like beeing a part of a nested block...excuse the Cad lingo...sub hosted family? A family within a family is what I'm trying to get at. I tried attaching the Toilet Flange into the basic 3d toilet, but that did not work, meaning no connection was found by the pipe routines. I ended up placing my own geometry and placed the pipe connector to the face of the cylinder (the closet flange). That worked nicely...and was easy to do, once I figured out that flipping problem.

Thanks...

TH

JoelLondenberg
2007-06-22, 11:14 PM
As for the nested family, I haven't tried it with plumbing fixtures yet but I have for lights. In the sub-family, under family catagories and parameters, select the "shared" check box. It seems that this transfers up the information to the parent-family. Please let me know if this works as I'll be working on plumbing families soon.

jbaumann
2008-05-20, 09:37 PM
Not certain if this was covered before. When one places a pipe connector, take care where you place it. If one selects a PLANE, then the blue flipping arrows will not Flip the Connector Arrow. If one places the connector on a FACE, then one can flip the arrow of the connector back and forth.

Time to revive this post. Since I have been unable to find anything to address this issue in Revit MEP 2009 there is a bit of a workaround I thought might be useful to mention. The direction of the Normal can be changed by redrawing the reference plane in the opposite direction. So if your connector that you host to a plane is flipped the wrong way and the "blue flipping arrows" still don't do anything (which they don't) redraw the reference plane opposite of the way you drew it previously (i.e. left to right vs. right to left) in the same view. Granted you may have to re-align some extrusions, this will at least allow you to use this method of hosting connectors.