PDA

View Full Version : Parametric Arrays

gregcashen
2003-07-07, 11:42 PM
I am trying to create a parametric array to model a sheetpile wall. I have created a family for the individual sheet piles and now I am trying to create a second family that uses this family in an array to control the total length of wall. I have created the initial family out of the site template. The problem is I cannot see where to make the parameter link to the array number. Can someone please post a step-by-step of how to do this. Beegee, I know you are doing something along these lines with your louvre family. Any new insights?

Here is the base sheetpile family.

TIA

beegee
2003-07-08, 12:37 AM
Go to the second family and load the sheet pile family then insert it in the model using >component. Get it aligned where you want it, locking it in place. Creat a new parameter called " array number " 9 or something sim ) defined by the particular formula for creating the number of sheet piles per the length. ( see my "Louvre" post for an example )
Select the sheet pile and array - group/associate ticked - number of items = 2 - move to last. While the end sheet pile remains highlighted, click the temporary line beside the array number, then on the tool bar . label - drop down menu - choose "array number", then > append to end.

At that point your family shows the correct number of piles for the length. The problem is when you flex the model, the arrayed components are not locked to the end reference plane, or at least in my case , they aren't :cry:

Hope that helps, let me know how you go.

beegee

beegee
2003-07-08, 12:51 AM
I should add a ps :-

My model will flex OK vertically (Z direction ), but not horizontally (X direction )

I think models like fences and possibly your sheet piles, which are required to be of a fixed height but variable length, may work OK without the problem I'm experiencing.

beegee

gregcashen
2003-07-09, 06:10 PM
Alright...I am wee todd did.

Here are the Sheet Pile and Sheet Pile Array Families. I have tried to mimic the setup of a post array family I have but I am unsuccessful. If anyone can straighten this out, I would be very appreciative.

I guess it's a good thing I post a lot, since I have recently gotten rid of the mucho inappropriate title "Family Master". More like Family Masher or something judging by what I have made of this family.

TIA.

beegee
2003-07-10, 04:02 AM
Greg,

I'm not sure if this works the way you intended ( since I'm no engineer :) )
The sheet piles are adjustable for top offset and pile depth. If you enter a run length, the array calculates and inserts the correct number of piles.

Is that right ?

( If it is, special thanks to gnl who put me on the right track for parametric arrays .... see thread " Parametric louvres" )

beegee

gregcashen
2003-07-10, 04:29 AM
Sounds right to me. I'll check it in the morning. Thanks a lot! Figures I was still going by your previous instructions so I was having the same problem you were having. Duh.