PDA

View Full Version : Modular Construction

thoellering
2007-06-19, 09:40 PM
I'm working on modular dormitories for use in the North Slope. Each building is 12' wide by 53' long. Structural Insulated Panels (10" thich) are used for the exterior walls, and 4" thick panels for the interior walls. There are 12 modules stacked on top of 12 modules for a total of 24. The modules have SIP panels for the floor also, with trenches for the plumbing. Each module is supported by a massive steel frame. Hollow Steel tubing is used throught as stiffeners.

Here is my question:

When I created the modules and placed them next to each other with a 1/2" air gap, I added a Hollow Door space to simulate the continuous corridors that run along the rooms, which are placed at the exterior long ends of the module, with an interiror space used for various functions (bath rooms, offices etc).

Now, when I add rooms, each short module corridor section is its own little room. I end up with a huge amount of little rooms if I do that. If I place only one room, then the heacting/Cooling loads will be off...any ideas?

Is there a way to "merge" or define room boundaries manually, overiding the bounding wall areas?

Thanks,

Thomas

PS: We're doing alot of projects for a company that constructs these modules. With the up-comming gas pipeline in Alaska, these modular camps may well be very popular...this may be a lucrative enterprise. I sure wish I could use revit MEP for this type of work...

mabrey
2007-06-19, 10:26 PM
Two options: you can select the "hallway" wall that defines the room boundary, edit its properties and un-check the Room Bounding parameter. Or you can use room separation lines on the "Room and Area" set of the design bar. Either one should work...just depends on your preferred work flow.

-Jon

thoellering
2007-06-21, 05:12 PM
Thanks, I'll try that...!

Thomas

kevin.141186
2007-11-30, 07:07 PM
Just curious, who is the manufacturer of these buildings? I worked for a modular manufacturer in Oregon for 15 years and their next big thing is building Starbucks.

Thanks,
Kevin