PDA

View Full Version : Design Option

jstoeckle
2007-06-20, 09:44 PM
I am Jeff and have a question regarding something in Revit and was hoping you could answer. I have come to the conclusion of a project that was produced in Revit and the client has requested that some portions of the project be provided as Additive Alternates. I have been trying to understand the Design Option commands and was hoping you could explain the Design Option. I need to separate the project into two pieces and on part will be the alternate. So, I need to show how the building will look if the alternate is not accepted.

First of all, is this the right way to show an alternate for bidding purposes?

cpiper
2007-07-03, 01:54 PM
Jeff,

I don't know if you are still watching this post but there are a couple of different ways to accomplish what you are hoping to do. First, you could use design options as you mentioned. Take a look at the help file on options and familiarize yourself with how to create them and add objects to them.

Once you have done some reading you will need to create an options set.
-Place two options in that set. One where the alternate will be on and the other will be empty.
-Add all of the items in the alternate to the "alternate on" option set, leave the other option empty.
-As you produce views of the model you can toggle the alternate on and off through Visibility/Graphics

Another way to accomplish this task would be to place all of the alternate on a separate phase. Problems would arise if you added alternates, which would in turn mean multiple phases and would make showing one alternate and not the other more difficult. You will also need to work your phase filters so that the main building doesn't show as existing while the alternate shows as new construction.

Still another way to accomplish the task is to place the entire alternate on a workset and toggle it on and off depending on the view.