PDA

View Full Version : Valves 2

thoellering
2007-06-22, 09:54 PM
I just had a thought. I'm working on trying to figure out how these valves can possibly work when placed in series, such as a supply branch on your typical boiler header. We're speaking of a few feet of piping, tapping off of a header -

Ball Valve - Pressure Pressure Gauge - Pump - Pressure Gauge - Check Valve - Ball Valve - Balance Valve

Here is what I'm thinking.

A. Can they be placed in a vertical arrangement, for a sectional view? But the 2D annotative symbology (so that it scales the valves) would crowd and overlap...

B. Lets say this arragement is drawn in a horizontal view. That would take care of the 2D symbols, up until the scale changes on another view. What looks good on a 1/2" = 1'-0" drawing may not look too good when the valves scale themselves to a 1/8" = 1'-0" drawing...

C. Any time more than one valve or fitting is placed, spacing of the valves that look good in the 1/8" = 1'-0" scale would look terrible in a 1/2" scale...the spacing between the valves would be too large - or larger than any plumber would install. Or, what can alsio happen, than on a smaller piece of pipe, the valve will be larger than the actual pipe segment...

D. How about head pressure loss thought the valves. Not entirely certain how that is set. I have not seen anything pertaining to friction loss in the connectors...

For the annotative scaling effect: lets assume the engineer places the valves listed above at 24" OC in an 1/8" plan (assuming that the valve symbologies are about 10" long each in 1/8" scale view), that would take up about 12 feet of piping to make that visually fit. Now envision the same on a 1/2" drawing, or on the 3D view.

...the only thing I can think of is to create an inplace annotative family, place the valves, and let the scale effect make the whole battery of valves and symbols grow or shrink proportionally to each other. Now...lets see. If there was a tool, like a valve train building tool, that would allow a user to select various valves, in whatever order or sequence, or number, and then be similar like a system all onto itsef? One would also need to be able to define the point of shrinking-growing reference for this valve grouping. Perhaps it also calculates the overall pressure loss over the entire battery of valves?

Thomas