PDA

View Full Version : Full Height Wall - "Transition Ducts"

Steve_Stafford
2007-06-26, 10:22 PM
For plenum fed return air what are ya'll using for the duct penetration at these full height walls that cut off the rest of the plenum? We assumed that we'd find a component family, Mechanical Equipment or Air Terminal that can connect to the logical system. We were a little surprised we didn't find such a family so we are curious about the approach others have taken to document and factor this type of object into the system. We thought maybe it was a naming/language thing and we're just looking for the "wrong" description? Also we assume that just a duct won't suffice because they don't get added to the logical system unless they are connected physically to the system.

JoelLondenberg
2007-06-29, 04:40 PM
...that can connect to the logical system...

Steve,
Just to clarify, what are you hoping to get from having a "logical" connection.

david.metcalf
2007-06-29, 06:24 PM
I would think a return plenum below the AHU can be created as a in place family mech category with a couple return connectors and a supply system connector to the AHU. A duct coming thought the floor if you have one and then connect one or more RAG thought the walls to the return plenum's side connectors. Not sure how the analysis tools will work with it!

Steve_Stafford
2007-06-30, 11:25 PM
Steve,
Just to clarify, what are you hoping to get from having a "logical" connection.Rmep requires a logical (assignment to the same system as other parts) connection to a system as well as a physical connection (duct) to completely resolve a hvac system. Until it is connected via both methods one will remain listed in the System Browser as unassigned. Checking the duct system will report that it isn't finished. Technically this points to the lack of support for systems that rely on the plenum. There is no real duct in these systems and Rmep doesn't provide a physical way to tell an air terminal that it returns air to a specific device unless you tell it via ductwork. So these systems will remain perpetually unassigned and I don't know how they will work in analysis at this time.

mjdanowski
2007-07-02, 02:08 PM
Rmep requires a logical (assignment to the same system as other parts) connection to a system as well as a physical connection (duct) to completely resolve a hvac system. Until it is connected via both methods one will remain listed in the System Browser as unassigned. Checking the duct system will report that it isn't finished. Technically this points to the lack of support for systems that rely on the plenum. There is no real duct in these systems and Rmep doesn't provide a physical way to tell an air terminal that it returns air to a specific device unless you tell it via ductwork. So these systems will remain perpetually unassigned and I don't know how they will work in analysis at this time.

However, I don't believe ducts will go under that "unassigned folder," only equipment will.

If you connect the duct and transition from a connector (and it becomes a "return" duct) then you should also get the analysis tools if you use the. (and if there is a logical system)