PDA

View Full Version : Not able to align diffusers to ceiling grid

luigi
2007-07-13, 02:10 PM
It's actually a big downer, when I was aproached by a team member playing with Revit MEP. One cannot snap to the LINKED Ceiling grid to align the diffusers...so it will always be an aproximation....and as a revit user know...aproximating in Revit isn't easy...one must be zoomed in quite a bit to get it close....

It has to change....maybe when we will be allowed to copy/monitor ceilings..........~daydreaming off~

Ok, thanks for listening...

Ciao!

Mottiqua
2007-07-13, 03:27 PM
It's actually a big downer, when I was aproached by a team member playing with Revit MEP. One cannot snap to the LINKED Ceiling grid to align the diffusers...so it will always be an aproximation....and as a revit user know...aproximating in Revit isn't easy...one must be zoomed in quite a bit to get it close....

It has to change....maybe when we will be allowed to copy/monitor ceilings..........~daydreaming off~

Ok, thanks for listening...

Ciao!

Hi Luigi!!
Nope, can't do it.....PITA for light fixtures as well.

-Diane

cadragon
2009-01-12, 05:43 PM
Sorry to bump this from 1 1/2 years ago, is this still the case? We are in Revit MEP 2009.

We can align recessed light fixtures to a linked ceiling grid, but not air diffusers.

AaronC
2009-01-12, 05:54 PM
Sorry to bump this from 1 1/2 years ago, is this still the case? We are in Revit MEP 2009.

We can align recessed light fixtures to a linked ceiling grid, but not air diffusers.

I've been snapping diffusers to light fixtures, and then moving them by 24" or 48" incriments.

smcmillin
2009-01-12, 06:16 PM
To snap the Air Terminal to the Ceiling grid you need to edit the family and open the Ref Level view, select the four lines that make up the square and click properties and at the bottom you need to change where it says "Not a Reference" to strong or weak.

luigi
2009-01-13, 12:30 AM
To snap the Air Terminal to the Ceiling grid you need to edit the family and open the Ref Level view, select the four lines that make up the square and click properties and at the bottom you need to change where it says "Not a Reference" to strong or weak.
Bingo!!!!!!!

scottwadd345906
2012-09-26, 09:15 PM
I'm dealing with this same issue. After setting the edge reference planes to strong, I can make my non-hosted families snap to the grid as I drag them across the ceiling, but my ceiling hosted families don't behave the same way--they only seem to auto-snap to the center ref planes. Any ideas? I've tried drawing lines at the edge and setting them to 'strong' but that didn't work either.

scottwadd345906
2012-10-04, 11:42 PM
I think I've found the problem. I was trying to make hosted ceiling families that would snap to the grid when dragged, just like the non-hosted families do. And they would snap until I cut the ceiling with a void in the family--then they can no longer snap. I can still 'select, move and snap' the fixtures to the grid, so that's something. But the 'drag and snap' is so nice and fast! Hope autodesk fixes this one.

scottwadd345906
2012-10-04, 11:52 PM
Also, the hosted family with a void CAN snap to the center reference planes--so one work around could be to move the geometry so the origin is at the corner. On the initial placement though, it still won't snap at all, whereas the unhosted families do. So it looks like unhosted ceiling fixtures are much easier to place in all regards--If I didn't need these fixtures to cut the ceilings for rendering purposes, I'd stick with the unhosted.

moliva
2012-10-05, 02:10 PM
I've not dealt w/ ceiling hosted diffusers much as most of ours are defined as face hosted. we've set the origin at the corner and have no problem w/ snapping it to the grid when inserting it. And copying around throughout the room works just as well. I'm not sure why a ceiling hosted would work any different except like you said something with the void cutting the ceiling. I'd say that aligning after placing them is not too bad an option considering.

matt__w
2012-10-05, 02:45 PM
You can also press the space bar while hovering over a ceiling grid line and the diffuser will auto-magically align itself to the grid then you can place it.

Matt