PDA

View Full Version : revit to 3dsmax conversion

ldcadd127
2007-07-17, 06:39 PM
What is the best method for exporting from revit, importing to 3dsmax, and doing the renderings for the model in 3dsmax?

I've gone through the tutorials and the help menu and it indicates exporting as a .dwg/dxf file, importing that into 3dsmax, but wouldn't that be 2D elements? that would mean you'd have to construct a model again, correct?

I'm wondering is there a better method to exporting, or opening, the Revit model into 3dsMax 9, and continuing the rendering effects without deconstructing the model into 2D drawings.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

mabrey
2007-07-17, 08:13 PM
Exporting to dwg is the way to go. 3D dwg files do exist, so you won't have to rebuild the model. When importing into 3D max you want to make sure it is linked and not just imported, so you won't lose any changes when the dwg is modified.

If you want your Revit materials to come across however, then you have to assign them an actual texture map as opposed to the Accurender materials. Max just treats the default Accurender materials as a solid color.

Just a little insight into what I've learned so far...

-Jon

luigi
2007-07-18, 01:46 PM
All you need to do is export a 3d view of the Revit model, and the dwg will be 3D... It will export only what is seen on the Revit 3d View. So if the view is cropped, the dwg will have a 3d cropped view...

If you have managed the materials in Revit, when you import it in 3dStudio, you will be able to select the faces of the model by Revit's material name.

You should do a search in the "Rendering" portion of the Forum, or you would get more input from that part of the forum.

Maybe a moderator soon will move this there....

Take care,

Luigi

What is the best method for exporting from revit, importing to 3dsmax, and doing the renderings for the model in 3dsmax?

I've gone through the tutorials and the help menu and it indicates exporting as a .dwg/dxf file, importing that into 3dsmax, but wouldn't that be 2D elements? that would mean you'd have to construct a model again, correct?

I'm wondering is there a better method to exporting, or opening, the Revit model into 3dsMax 9, and continuing the rendering effects without deconstructing the model into 2D drawings.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

ldcadd127
2007-07-18, 11:44 PM
thanks for the info, guys.