PDA

View Full Version : Printing (moved here from Known issues)

matts1761
2003-07-09, 09:26 PM
I have just installed Revit 5.1 (the latest build); OS is Windows XP Pro on a Dell Dimension 8250. When I try to print, print preview, or page setup I get the error message, "An unrecoverable error has occured. The program will now be terminated." Has anyone experienced this before? I uninstalled, restarted and reinstalled but got the same results.

moved here "Q"

Scott D Davis
2003-07-09, 09:49 PM
do you get the same error with any RVT file that you have open, or is it just one single file that is causing the error?

Zig
2003-07-11, 02:10 AM
I have a similar problem, but only when I print to my default printer (in this case its a panasonic workio 150) In most cases I don't even get a message. Revit just disapears? If I select another printer or plotter, or pdf writer I don't have a problem. I have reported the problem to Revit and apparently they are looking into it. Similar to yours, my issues started with release 5.1. Prior to that no problems? :screwy:

The problem only occurs on my machine running Windows 2000 ( I believe it has service pack 2) No problems on my XP machine or on the machine running 2000 with service pack 1)

Steve_Stafford
2003-07-11, 02:24 AM
This issue is most likely a driver problem. I had the same thing happen on a PC that had not updated the drivers for the two plotters we use in awhile.

Plotter/printing setups vary wildly, so nailing it can be hard sometimes. I'd start at the server level if it happens on more than one PC...if only at the PC then look locally. If no server is involved, then you got to look locally huh? Just make sure you are using the very latest driver from the plotter manufacturer. In my case the versions were very close in "age" but differed enough that Revit didn't like it.

Hope that helps...

(In keeping with the intent of this forum, we'll move this thread to general (make that Hardware "Q") tomorrow probably. If this is confusing, we try to explain it in the announcement message for this forum, hope it makes sense)

matts1761
2003-07-11, 07:34 PM
Thanks for the replies. Revit got back to me via email and it is a driver problem. I had my default printer set to an HP Laserjet 5, Revit didn't like it. I simply switched the default to a different printer and now it works fine. I can still print to the HP but just can't use it as the default. I assume Revit will develop a patch for this in the future.

Thanks again.

Matts

Zig
2003-07-11, 11:57 PM
Driver smiver? :) I went through this with Revit already. We checked and I have the latest drivers. That said, who knows you may be right. I'm going to reinstall the drivers on the machine in question. Steve, if you are right I will be posting a gracious thank you! :oops:

Thanks you your input, regardless.

Steve_Stafford
2003-07-12, 12:05 AM
I suggest you delete the existing system printer (the randy one that is) rather than update the printer...recreate it from scratch using the newest driver...in our case the plotters are "served" and recreating the plotter at the workstation fixed it, since the server is using the latest driver and the Workstation's version was "wicked old" :D .