PDA

View Full Version : How do you attach an IES file to a Light Fixture?

Dr._House
2007-07-26, 05:11 PM
Now I've been trying to figure out how to add an IES file to a Light Fixture. I see it has about 4 loaded in here but not what I need, and I can't find where to add the ones I do need. Anyone run into this already?

kyle.bernhardt
2007-07-27, 12:29 PM
Here's what you need to do.

Navigate to the Program folder in your install path for Revit MEP 2008, most likely "C:\Program Files\Revit MEP 2008\Program".
Open Revit.ini. Find the entry called "IESFileLocation", make note of that location. See attached image.

Navigate to the location determined in step 2.
Place any new IES data files in that location.
Load Revit MEP.
Open the light fxture family that you want to associate with your new IES data file.
Select the Family Types option in the Design Bar. In the Family Types dialog you will see a Parameter called "IES Data File". Type in the name of the file, without its .ies extension. See attached image.
Save the family. Load it into your project and you're good to go.
Hope that Helps,
Kyle B

Dr._House
2007-07-31, 08:21 PM
Awesome! Thanks for the Help!

mwiggins121466
2007-07-31, 08:39 PM
Kyle,

What do we gain from doing this other than the information is attached to the fixture? Can we get foot candle calcs?

Thanks,
Margaret

kyle.bernhardt
2007-07-31, 09:04 PM
Yep. That information is used to calculate the Average Estimated Illumination (AEI) value for a Room. Rooms are aware of the light fixtures that exist inside of their volume. That, in conjunction with the Lighting parameters on a Room, result in the AEI value being calculated (see attached image).

Hope that Helps,
Kyle B

jamal.qusous
2007-08-07, 10:21 AM
THANKS ALOT , BUT I HAVE A QUESTION DOES AN IES FILE AFFECT THE WAY THE LIGHT FIXTURE RENDER? THE EFFECT OF THE LIGHT

kyle.bernhardt
2007-08-07, 12:38 PM
THANKS ALOT , BUT I HAVE A QUESTION DOES AN IES FILE AFFECT THE WAY THE LIGHT FIXTURE RENDER? THE EFFECT OF THE LIGHTNot yet. Would make a lot of sense though now wouldn't it?

Kyle B

P.S. No need to SHOUT in these forums, we can all hear you at normal levels.

mjdanowski
2007-08-07, 01:19 PM
Kyle,

I have been messing around with rendering and what not lately, is it possible to get a point by point analysis of illuminance levels within an area instead of just a average value?

Mottiqua
2007-08-07, 05:28 PM
just lumen method average....nothing more than that. you can export to IES <VE> and use their lighting analysis, ( I haven't tried that yet....IES <VE>is still a little fuzzy to me so I can't say much)
I have though exported the model to a polymesh 3D *dwg and brought it into AGI, of course I had to bring in my ies files and lights, but the locations where there.
Another slick thing we did was export it to 3D studio Max, which actually brought IN the lights and IES files. Pretty nice for rendering for clients but I wouldn't trust the analysis of Studio Max tho...

Dr._House
2007-08-16, 07:30 PM
Kyle,

I have been messing around with rendering and what not lately, is it possible to get a point by point analysis of illuminance levels within an area instead of just a average value?

A little off topic here, but LOVIN the Hogan! SWEET! :)

RobertB
2007-08-17, 03:12 PM
A little off topic here, but LOVIN the Hogan! SWEET! :)
Although when you are viewing a series of messages between Kyle and MJ, you can become quite seasick. :twisted:

chammer
2007-10-03, 02:56 PM
How did you get the point by point?

kyle.bernhardt
2007-10-04, 04:36 PM
We discussed this earlier in the thread. Point by Point calcs in Revit MEP cannot be done, only Illumination levels at a workplane. That may change in the future, but that's not how it works today.

Kyle B

cganiere
2008-05-09, 02:52 PM
I can see the Parameter called "IES Data File" in RAC2008. but it is grayed out. I can't edit it.
So I can only make lighs using IES Data Files if I buy Revit MEP?

Here's what you need to do.

Navigate to the Program folder in your install path for Revit MEP 2008, most likely "C:\Program Files\Revit MEP 2008\Program".
Open Revit.ini. Find the entry called "IESFileLocation", make note of that location. See attached image.

Navigate to the location determined in step 2.
Place any new IES data files in that location.
Load Revit MEP.
Open the light fxture family that you want to associate with your new IES data file.
Select the Family Types option in the Design Bar. In the Family Types dialog you will see a Parameter called "IES Data File". Type in the name of the file, without its .ies extension. See attached image.
Save the family. Load it into your project and you're good to go.Hope that Helps,
Kyle B

kyle.bernhardt
2008-05-09, 03:22 PM
Correct. This is because the only functionality using IES data files with Light Fixtures in 2008 is in Revit MEP. Rendering in 2008 does not use that information at all.

In 2009, we implemented IES-based Light Fixtures for photo realistic renderings using the MentalRay engine.

Cheers,
Kyle B