PDA

View Full Version : Metal Roof Fill pattern

BomberAIA
2003-07-11, 08:23 PM
Has anyone seen a metal roof (model) fill pattern or know where I can get one? Thanks

hand471037
2003-07-11, 11:22 PM
Do you mean standing seam roofing?

beegee
2003-07-11, 11:39 PM
I've been using a vertical model line hatch.

Works fine for me, both in plan and elevation. Not great on the 3D views however. :)

beegee

Steve_Stafford
2003-07-11, 11:56 PM
Some use a parallel line pattern set for the seam spacing. I used in-place roof families to do the roof in the attached image awhile back. Nice part is it renders pretty well but it looks "right" in elevations too. Didn't take very long really...one or two per roof face and then copy...the shorter ones are copies edited on the fly.

HTH

timothyj67
2003-07-15, 10:58 PM
so ..thats cool...could the pattern be curved or bent?
ANd how exactly do you do that on a roof profile..

Steve_Stafford
2003-07-15, 11:03 PM
Let me look at the file and refresh my memory and get back to you. All I remember right now is thinking, "that wasn't too hard" and moving on.

Okay, back, I created a profile family that is the standing seam in section. Then I used an in-place roof family, did a sweep, placed a path and used the roof seam profile to finish it. Copied over at the c/c spacing of the seams. For the shorter lengths, selecting a family, editing allowed me to stretch it to the right length, what "looked" good, not worried about accuracy really. So only the varying length seams required separate effort.

I haven't tried but you ought to be able to use a roof hosted family to do the same but I did that project very early on in my Revit use and haven't touched it since.

PeterJ
2003-07-16, 08:24 AM
Like the man said.......

This is very old and I did it for an experiment - the roof of my own house in fact - and haven't reused it but it does give a hosted standing seam effect and I think from memory it looks about right in section too.

P

sbrown
2003-07-16, 01:18 PM
I guess I'm lazy, I just make a new material with a tile pattern that creates just a single black line every 12-18" and then I pick the color. I have modeled the roof seams in the past but the return wasn't worth it to me.

PeterJ
2003-07-16, 03:38 PM
That's the Chamber of Commerce refurb you did some time back, Scott?

I think in general I am with you regarding doing it as a material. I just wanted a couple of sections to look right from the outset and I wa sstill experimenting with how far I could take things. Like so many of these things you need to decide whether it will show repeatedly in cut sections, and how important accuracy there is and then decide whether it will be a near correct material that will render nicely, or a construction correct build-up. Often it's going to be the former.

The other thing, if you dig into the little model I uploaded, is that I was still getting to grips with how best to do flat roofs, whether to model the 1.5 degree pitch but then the ceiling is wrong etc.

I think I am going to start a new thread on it now......

Archimac
2004-05-21, 07:01 PM
Some use a parallel line pattern set for the seam spacing. I used in-place roof families to do the roof in the attached image awhile back. Nice part is it renders pretty well but it looks "right" in elevations too. Didn't take very long really...one or two per roof face and then copy...the shorter ones are copies edited on the fly.

HTH

Steve,

Great image! Would you mind give a detailed procedure for doing a roof with the facia profiles and hip returns?

Stan

BomberAIA
2004-05-21, 07:24 PM
I used a sloped curtain wall and used mullions as the seams. I set the panel material to alum. or metal.