PDA

View Full Version : Blending/Merging/Pasting Surfaces

mpeterson79
2007-08-07, 09:57 PM
Can someone help me out here - Civil3D 2008.

I'm trying to 'blend' a surface I created from client provided contours with a DEM surface. As there is some discrepancy of the actual elevation where they meet, I'm getting some undesireable results from the final surface.

I have three surfaces in my drawing - the client provided, the DEM, and the 'final' surface. I'm pasting the first two into the third. DEM first, then the client surface.

I was under the impression that there was a way to create a buffer zone between the two surfaces such that the final surface would interpolate the data in the buffer so the surface would blend nicer. Is this not possible?

http://www.gallery.markspeterson.com/d/9852-1/Surface+Contours+01.jpg

Note the area between the nearly horizontal red lines - I would like the contours to 'smooth' in this area.

jpaulsen
2007-08-08, 03:58 PM
I don't know a way to do what you want automatically but can't you edit the surface and remove the points in the "red" zone?

MHultgren
2007-08-10, 04:43 PM
You should be able to add breaklines along your two surface boundaries (the two red lines) and then cleanout the area between the two.
Another method might be using a Hide Boundary in your DEM surface when pasting it and the outer boundary in your Client provided surface, then convert that outer boundary to a proximity breakline to see if that might clean things up a bit.
Jeff's idea of deleting the TIN points in the area will work as well.

brian.hailey933139
2007-08-12, 02:39 PM
You can also smooth your surface in that area. Under the edits for your surface, you'll find Smooth Surface. You can select a region to smooth. This might actually be an ideal situation for this tool.