PDA

View Full Version : Is Revit MEP successful?

Baldwin_4-6-0
2007-08-13, 02:28 PM
Is Revit MEP successful creating Construction Documents?
Our firm would like to know what the users think of Revit MEP, the good the bad and the ugly.

dmb.100468
2007-08-13, 03:50 PM
We have had success creating Construction Documents using all platforms of Revit. In some cases the drawings are cleaner and nicer looking than those produced in CAD.

dave.redding
2007-08-13, 05:26 PM
Hey Baldwin:

I once knew a Rogers works Alco. It was a nice little Ten wheeler.

Anyways, we are using Revit MEP on 200,000 sf hospital, and there are some things that are working, and some things that are not.

I think it will, but it is not an easy process.

luigi
2007-08-14, 03:40 AM
I see from your firm's portfolio that you do many types of projects. Which type of a project you did MEP in construction documents?

Thanks in advance,

Luigi

We have had success creating Construction Documents using all platforms of Revit. In some cases the drawings are cleaner and nicer looking than those produced in CAD.

dmb.100468
2007-08-14, 02:10 PM
We are doing credit union branch locations as well as a 35,000sf college campus building renovation, and a 100,000+ sf medical facility. The latter 2 are still in development, but we have seen from our prototyping of the credit unions that we can create any construction document that we need.

mjdanowski
2007-08-14, 02:57 PM
For us, it was not so much a matter of whether you could create CDs, but rather could you create them easily and still utilizing the analysis tools of Revit.

Baldwin_4-6-0
2007-08-14, 03:10 PM
For us, it was not so much a matter of whether you could create CDs, but rather could you create them easily and still utilizing the analysis tools of Revit.

Well, did you or didn't you utilize the analysis tools of Revit?

ran.154477
2008-01-29, 12:26 AM
I am very frustrated with Revit MEP. It doesn't seem to do anything I want it to do (ductwork and plumbing). I believe in the potential power of Revit, but as a novice, trying to produce simple stuff, "cumbersome" is the most polite term I can use.

mjdanowski
2008-01-29, 01:32 PM
Well, did you or didn't you utilize the analysis tools of Revit?

Some, yes. Others, no.

jbaumann
2008-01-30, 06:41 PM
Attached are some sample construction documents for a project we are currently working on, completed to approximately 80%. All cd's have been generated from the Revit MEP platform (no ACAD links or views). No plumbing is shown here as it was a tenant improvement to an existing shell building. Most of the schedules seen are real parametric Revit schedules. One notable exception are the panel schedules which are a generic annotation family with instance parameters and calculated totals similar to an excel spreadsheet.

Is Revit MEP successful creating Construction Documents?
Our firm would like to know what the users think of Revit MEP, the good the bad and the ugly.

The Good - More accurate scaled drawings in plan and section view, excellent coordination with the building and structural elements, seamless coordination between mechanical and electrical disciplines, i.e. electrical data and equipment tags from mechanical plans drive electrical load data and tags on the electrical plans.

The Bad - 100% different from everything in AutoCAD, which means learning, training and considerable time rebuilding standard details and equipment blocks.

The Ugly - A decent amount of features or tools just don't work yet. The product is young but making headway.

sernspiker
2008-02-06, 04:13 PM
Jarrod,
The sheets you posted look good. Are you using the REVIT panel schedules or something else? Our electrical guys have a real issue with the panel schedules. Can you possibly post some plumbing sheets or are you not using it for plumbing?

jbaumann
2008-02-07, 06:57 PM
Are you using the REVIT panel schedules or something else? Our electrical guys have a real issue with the panel schedules.

Most of the schedules seen are real parametric Revit schedules. One notable exception are the panel schedules which are a generic annotation family with instance parameters and calculated totals similar to an excel spreadsheet.

In regard to the plumbing, we are using it in a limited fashion for two main reasons. First, it is a bit underdeveloped in our opinion and second, because of the diagrammatic style that plumbing is usually drawn in for construction documents there is much difficulty displaying all piping accurately within the model and still have a clean 2d printable sheet. Perhaps there will be added visibility controls for piping added to future releases.

I have included a small sample of plumbing produced with Revit MEP.

alan.jackson
2008-03-03, 11:00 PM
How are you guys getting boot taps to work?

-
alan

kyle.bernhardt
2008-03-04, 02:28 PM
Alan,
Check out a previous thread (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=68220) for all kinds of boot tap-related goodness.

Cheers,
Kyle B