PDA

View Full Version : Block descriptions permanent

cadpoobah
2004-08-05, 08:14 PM
If descriptions have been added to blocks, when the block is wblocked out to a dwg file, the description is lost.

I would like for the descriptions to "stick", either as part of the drawing properties os as extended data.

RobertB
2004-08-10, 03:13 PM
I wonder if this is an issue of "old school" vs. "new school". I'm in the old school, long before Design Center and the vertical products. Back then, most of us created symbol libraries by wblocking out objects (that shiny new block we just created) to a folder where the symbol drawings resided.

New school seems to be using a single drawing that holds all the related blocks in one file. These symbols are accessible via Design Center or the vertical's content browsers.

And you know what? I have a single drawing that make up the symbol list for each discipline, that hold all the blocks for that discipline. So it has got me wondering why I bother to have the individual drawings themselves (aside from legacy code).

I bring this up because, of course, block descriptions are honored in the "new school" thinking. Also, it seems to be Autodesk's direction also (witness the sample Design Center content, for instance).

bpayne
2004-08-19, 11:16 PM
More importantly....block descriptions need to be editable. One shouldn't be required to explode and then "re-block" a block in order to edit or add a description.

RobertB
2004-08-19, 11:25 PM
More importantly....block descriptions need to be editable. One shouldn't be required to explode and then "re-block" a block in order to edit or add a description.

They are. :confused:

Bring up the Block Definition dialog box. Drop down the list and select the block Name you want to modify. Type in a new Description. Select OK.

bpayne
2004-08-19, 11:28 PM
Wow....can't believe I missed that. I like to think I somewhat know what I'm doing here! :)