PDA

View Full Version : XML based surface disappearing???

whf
2007-08-15, 07:36 PM
So this is a problem that seems to exist on every system that I work on (I have a few different places of employment) and has cropped up a number of times in different settings. I have some surfaces that are defined by imported xml file(s). The office updated the network, adds some storage etc., and now my xml files have a different path. This is ok for the surfaces that don't need to change....but I have a surface that needs updated. I create a new xml file (from different drawing) with the same name. I go into the surface properties/definition and update the pathing of the imported xml file to the new location/file. It prompts me to rebuild, and I do. Next I rebuild the snapshot. Now the surface is empty...no data. I've tried every variation of the creating and repathing of the xml file, and same result. I can export another xml from this surface (just for test), and nothing, just a little 7meg xml file of nothing. There is nothing wrong with the xml. I can import it as a fresh surface, and it comes in fine. In fact, this is how I have had to handle the updated surfaces for a temporary work-around....I just import as a new surface, and then paste that into my empty (original xml based) surface, so that the zillion things that are referencing that surface are happy. While this works as a quick fix, it is not at all acceptable and negates the purpose of creating the xml files in the first place (and not doing so is not an option, as the drawing quickly gets too large). Any help is greatly appreciated....as this software (civil 3d) is about to drive me into early retirement (really).. Thanks for your help!!!!

Bill

MHultgren
2007-08-21, 10:13 PM
Hi Bill,
do you know if these machines have SP1 installed yet? I had some problems with data shortcuts but they have been fixed in SP1. Not sure if your problem is associated with data shortcuts or not (sounds like it is feasible) but SP1 did fix quite a few 'Features" :lol:

cadtag
2007-08-23, 08:27 PM
Wasn't that one of the issues with LandXML based surfaces? It's mentioned in my 2006 guide. Loosing the path to the XML lost the surface, and re-pathing would not help. Keeping the LandXML surface in the same folder as the drawing seemed to be the recommendation

cheers

whf
2007-08-31, 09:19 PM
Hello all,

Hi Mark...yes, all are updated with sp1. I think cadtag has it...just another thing that I have to live with. Unfortunately, this is the way things are set up on this particular system (I think you're familiar with it, Mark) and now it's just hosed. My only real options are a cumbersome and large work-around or to start over... gotta love it!

(PS, I actually have gotten a few of the surfaces to cooperate...but there seems to be no rhyme or reason to which will and which won't. Some will even eventually work after the umpteenth attempt...!?)

Bill