PDA

View Full Version : Insertion Point Location?

whdjr
2004-08-09, 07:18 PM
Does anyone know of a way to change the insertion point of a block without changing its physical location?

Jeff_M
2004-08-09, 07:24 PM
UH, could you be a little more specific? With a reason for doing so?

whdjr
2004-08-09, 07:28 PM
I have a drawing with a block that is drawn wrong that needs to replaced. It also is copied about 60 times in the drawing. I also just found out that the insertion point for the block is nowhere near the block geometry.

I need to replace the geometry, but at the same scale, rotation, and location as the current block?

whdjr
2004-08-09, 07:31 PM
Now that I think about it, I think I just describe the Express Tools BlockReplace tool.

Thanks for the help.

whdjr
2004-08-09, 07:37 PM
Nope Blockreplace uses the insertion point. That won't work. I still need help.

Wanderer
2004-08-09, 08:02 PM
Redefining a Block without Losing Your Insertion Point

Have you ever had the experience of redefining a block and finding that the insertion point is way off? Or perhaps the block just seemed to disappear and you couldn't figure out where it went! It turns out that how you redefine the block makes a difference.

After you have exploded and changed the objects, choose Make Block. Instead of choosing the block name from the drop-down list, type it. You will never have the problem of the wayward insertion point again!

Note: Other possible reasons for this phenomenon are inadvertently snapping to the wrong object snap when you specify your insertion point and changing units.
HTH just got this from:
Dear EllenFinkelstein.com subscriber,

Welcome to the first edition of the AutoCAD Tips Newsletter. Each month will bring you tips, tutorials, resources, and downloads. If you were previously signed up, you got a preview by following the links in my initial e-mail announcement. This first issue is extra full of tips.

In this issue:
1. Creating fields that update automatically (for R2000-2004)
2. Redefining a block without losing your insertion point
3. Combining DWF files
4. Setting a system variable on the tool palette
5. Healing a line
6. Resource of the month
7. More

Coolmo
2004-08-09, 08:02 PM
Are the 60 or so blocks rotated? If not you could do it manually. Just insert one of the blocks into the drawing and draw a reference line from the current insertion point of the block. Then draw a reference line from where the insertion point should be. Redefine the block with the new insertion point and let them all update on the screen. Select all the blocks and move them from reference point to reference point.

whdjr
2004-08-09, 08:18 PM
mes0945,

I don't care about the insertion point just the location of the geometry.

williams.60073,

Not all of the blocks are rotated, but some of them are. Maybe a third are.

CADmium
2004-08-17, 08:10 PM
Hallo, what's with my (Cadmium) tool block_new_basispunkt? Look here :
http://ww3.cad.de/foren/ubb/Forum145/HTML/000438.shtml
It's in German, but i thing, there's no a problem.
Thomas

whdjr
2004-08-18, 03:18 PM
Thomas,

Thanks you. That appears to work at first run. I will need to dicipher the code and makes sense of the German.

Thanks alot,

msjca
2004-08-18, 06:15 PM
I often use thes 2 routines together. 1st execute "rdi" it inserts and explodes the block (be sure your zoomed out for enough so the block you insert will appear on the screen).

Mark the insertion point immediatley after (command "line" "@" pause "").

now make all your changes then execute rdo, selecting the objects and for the insertion point is the 1st point of the line you drew (above) to mark the spot. then regen.
Don't forget to reset attreq back to 1 (if desired) when complete since I did not record initial setting and restore in the routine. (all layers which contains the geometry should be on, unlocked and thawed before starting as well as the the current)

; ===================================================================
;INSERTS A BLOCK AND CREATES INSBLK=INSNAME (RDI STANDS FOR REDEFINE IN)
(defun c:rdi ( / tinsblk);(blknam)
(command "undo" "m" "undo" "m")
(command "ATTREQ" "0")
(if (wcmatch (strcase
(getstring "\nSelect block or <Type-name> to redefine: ")) "S")
(setq blknam (cdr (assoc 2 (c:ge))))
(cond
((/= blknam nil)
(setq tinsblk
(getstring (strcat "\ninsert Block name (or ?) <" blknam ">: "))
)
(if (/= tinsblk "") (setq blknam tinsblk))
)
((/= (setq insblk (getvar "insname")) nil)
(setq tinsblk
(getstring (strcat "\ninsert Block name (or ?) <" insblk ">: "))
)
(if (/= tinsblk "") (setq blknam tinsblk) (setq blknam insblk))
)
)
)
(command "insert" (setq insblk blknam) PAUSE "1" "1" "0")
(command "explode" "l" "attreq" "1") blknam
)
;USED W/ `rdi' TO REDEFINE A BLOCK W/IN A DWG (RDO = FOR RED' OUT)
;uses `insblk' (from `rdi') so lessens retyping, [long block names].
(defun c:rdo ()
(print (strcat "Redefining '" (strcase insblk) "'."))
(ssget) (command "block" insblk "y" pause "p" "")
(if (/= blks nil) (command "erase" blks "" "oops"))
)
; ==================================================================
;

tyeelaw13
2006-09-13, 06:49 PM
Here's what I do. I go to the line command and when it says first point, enter "insert" it will prompt "of", and just hover over the block. You will see a 2square grip appear at the block's insertion point. Draw a line with ortho on from that point either vertically or horizontally, remembering the starting point since that's the insertion point of the block. Then click on the block, right click and go to edit block in place. Then when you move the block, you will know where the original insertion point was and you can offset the line you made from the insertion point, or move it a certain distance based on the location of the insertion point. Then save the changes, and you should be good to go.l