PDA

View Full Version : Plotting in 2005

Wes.Stueve34436
2004-08-11, 08:04 PM
Hello everyone. Does anyone know of a reason AutoCad 2005 would give an error of "Invalid Input" for trying to set Layout.PlotType = acLimits? This is driving me crazy.

Wes

RobertB
2004-08-11, 09:16 PM
Have you looked at the available options for a Layout? Limits no longer is one of them.
:veryevil:
FWIW, I've never understood the insistence of so many in using limits for a layout. If the layout page size is specified correctly, what's wrong with the Layout option?

mjfarrell
2004-08-11, 09:35 PM
I'm with you on this mystery.
Even before we had paper space
the easiest most reliable method of
plotting was to use a view.
And as at the time autocad remembered the
last plot settings every drawing could be
plotted exactly the same using a view named plot.

And still there were those wanting to plot to limits
or extents. :confused:

Then we got page set-ups and layout tabs,
and with the Implementation in 2005 of enforcing
the idea of using NAMED page set-ups as the standard
in this manner is a good idea.

Although I do not totally like the new plotting interface,
as it looks to be to much change for no productivity gains. :banghead:

RobertB
2004-08-11, 11:56 PM
I'm with you on this mystery.
Even before we had paper space
the easiest most reliable method of
plotting was to use a view.

Yeah, I used named views up until AutoCAD 2000. Once I got rid of R14, there went my custom plotting shell, and we learned to understand named page setups and using the Layout option. Which has worked great for us.

Wes.Stueve34436
2004-08-12, 03:41 PM
I'm not an expert on AutoCAD, but I think the reason we use limits is so that we don't have to create a named layout for each and every PC3 file and paper size we use. For one roll per PC3 file and four rolls per plotter, that gets big and ugly in a hurry (not to mention forty or so different style sheets).

Robert, we had a similar discussion when I think it was you (or Ed) that helped me with a problem a long time back about getting named layouts with pc3 files we don't have in drawings from the architect. When I called RefreshPlotDeviceInfo, I got and error, but you also can't set the pc3 file without calling this. The solution was to import the named layout from a template and then delete all the named layouts from the drawing.

Right now, we just have a database of which sizes and media can be plotted for each pc3 file. Also, a plotter name corresponds to one or more pc3 file. Then, there are the default style sheets depending on how the drawing is "set up" by lisp and the option to override the default ctb. So, the user just picks the plotter and the size and media. Then they pick limits, extents, view, etc. Limits is good for this because it is simple and allows the drawing to have one size that gets scaled for each plotter/size.

Does this sound like a bad idea? I'm just a programmer and limits were pretty much handed to me. I didn't even install 2005 on my machine until yesterday. I played around with the named layouts in my template and it seems like to print an 11x17 you would have to have another layout set up for this in the drawing. I've been reading the docs, but haven't come to a full understanding yet....

Anyhow, sorry for the long post. If you guys can maybe enlighten me I would be much appreciated. From my perspective, it seems a lot easier and makes more sense to be able to say, "This is the paper size (limits). Why should I care what plotter it is plotting to? That can be calculated at run time." If you know how I can get the limits to plot off as well, that would be most appreciated. No sense in doing it now if you can wait until next year :D. Thanks for the responses and look forward to enlightenment.

Wes

RobertB
2004-08-12, 06:26 PM
FWIW, you don't need a separate layout just to accommodate a reduced plot. See this thread (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=5934&highlight=layouts) for a recent discussion on this very topic, and my sample drawing template.

I've also attached to this post an eTransmitted sample drawing that shows how selecting different named plot styles can change the plot of a single layout. (You could simply apply the style to the layout to see the effects without plotting, or use the plot command to plot an 11x17 without affecting the layout itself.

You are going to have to wean yourself off of limits.