cliff collins
2004-08-12, 01:49 PM
Quick project I'm actually building at my home. Curved beams are the biggest
challenge......
cheers

cbc

Henry D
2004-08-12, 05:39 PM
Nice job Cliff! Neat little structure...I like the curves.

Roger Evans
2004-08-13, 11:45 AM
I'm interested in how you are going to make the curved beams

Do you have any special technique or advice?

cliff collins
2004-08-13, 05:27 PM
Roger,

Ahh--question of the day!

I'll plot (directly from the side elevation in the Revit model) the curved beam profile, full-scale, in 3 segments, and use this as a template. The beam depth is 11 1/4", based on a 2 x 12 dimension.

I will laminate the beams from 2 layers of 3/4" plywood, which will be easier to
cut out. I'll set up a template and use a scroll or jigsaw. The laminated beams
will then be carefully sanded, receive several coats of preservative/stain--- and then be ready to put into position.

As for the uppermost small horizontal trellis crossmembers, I'm looking into the "composite/GFRC" simulated wood, in 2x2 size, to minimize maintenance for these parts.

I currently have the entire structure built, with the exception of the curved beams and upper small cross members.These final portions will be a challenge. We'll see how it goes this weekend!

Cheers...

cbc

Roger Evans
2004-08-13, 08:00 PM
I like structures like this & I understand the profile & method ok & I think it will look great, but as The beams look more than 8ft in length (more than standard ply sheet anyway) ~ I was thinking more about the jointing between abutting faces. ( ie side faces) When I've looked at doing something similar using 3 layer of ply for the beams I played with ideas for an interlocking joint ~ bit like square jigsaw pieces

Another method which may work well here seeing as it has no load as such, is to make a crude template profile & build up a laminated beam in layers of thin ply 1/4" 4mm with staggered joints in alternate layers ~ eliminates edge joint problem above. I would reckon on a beam width of nlt 3" / 4" though. I think beam faces look much better this way.

Course if you can cut the beam length from 1 sheet ~ no problem

Are you going to post a piccy when its done?

cliff collins
2004-08-13, 10:49 PM
Roger,

Yes, the overall length is about 10'-8"--so it will require lap splicing. I'll
glue and screw the layers of plywood together. I'll use (2) 3/4" layers, for an overall
thickness of 1 1/2", same as 2x lumber, which will keep it lightweight. I'm building it
by myself, so weight is a consideration--it will be about 12' tall at the high end.
The curved beams will be supported at the midspan with a curvilinear brace, and at each end by the lateral beams.

These things are a lot easier to build in Revit! Good hands on lesson.
This design is why contractors hate anything curved......

And, yes--I'll post some digital photos when complete!
Thanks for your interest and suggestions.

Cheers....

cbc