PDA

View Full Version : Rotate a work plane for monoslope roof

jrbroadway
2007-10-07, 04:43 PM
Most of the buildings that we get into require a monoslope roof. It would be nice if we could do a flat roof with barjoists, etc. and then slope or rotate the workplane that everything is attached to. When you slope the workplane, then the steel beams, roof deck, barjoists, column tops, etc. should automatically adjust to follow the slope of the workplane. This would greatly simplify things and save a huge amount of time over individually drawing each and every beam and trying to come up with creative workarounds. What would be even cooler is if you could split the workplane and do multiple slopes, such as a roof with a ridge in the middle.

sfaust
2007-10-08, 04:16 PM
as far as the roof itself, it should just be one slope defining edge or one slope arrow for that to work. We usually model the structure seperately. For structure, look into beam systems - there is a checkbox in their properties to make them 3D and you should be able to slope whole systems with 1 parameter.

Just realized you're in structure, not architecture like I am, but it should work the same way...

jrbroadway
2007-10-08, 08:40 PM
To me, it makes sense to model the roof as flat and then slope the level versus drawing in each individual beam using offsets, etc. It would be nice if I could grab "Level 2" and make it slope from front to back. Then it would be cool if the columns automatically trim to match the slope. The tediousness with the sloped roof has been a bit of an obstacle for me switching over to Revit Structure.

sfaust
2007-10-08, 10:46 PM
if you look at beam systems, you don't have to draw every beam using offsets. Put in the beams that define the edges (or ledger angles), then define the system based on those beams and make it 3D. It will automatically go to the right slope, and it will update if you change the height of the supports.

as far as columns, you can attach them to the roof and they will change height with the slope...

as far as sloping a level, levels were intended to be a horizontal plane that reports a height above the ground plane. If they are allowed to slope they could not report a height...

alternately, you can create a reference plane based on the slope you want and create the beam system on that reference plane. You should be able to attach the columns to it too. Then whenever you change the slope you just rotate the reference plane and your structure should follow...

jrbroadway
2007-10-09, 11:59 AM
I guess that is why they call this a "wishlist". I wish Revit could do it in an easier fashion, but it only looks like a wish. Revit could learn a lot from Sketchup and Archicad.