PDA

View Full Version : How can I justify Building Systems 2005?

stelthorst
2004-08-13, 09:57 PM
Hi all,

I'm currently trying to convince our company to upgrade to ABS2005 from A2K. I believe it will save a lot of drafting and design time but am having trouble locating data that can quantify these savings. As with all upper management they want a number that reflects the time savings of using the product. Can anybody out there point me in the direction of an article that addresses this subject? If you don't know of any articles, how much time do you think the software saves you? I feel that I can achieve a 20% savings in time spent creating sections, details and utilizing the other features in ABS. Am I way off base?

Thanks in advance for your input.

mjfarrell
2004-08-13, 10:15 PM
Get a demo copy and show them a couple of tasks
side by side in each application.

And let them have a look at this information:
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/linkedsumindex?siteID=123112&id=544532&linkID=2476309

red2002yzfr1
2004-08-16, 05:35 PM
Other than the suggestions that "mjfarrell" has made, there really isn't any other way that I know of to get your boss to justify purchasing ABS. For me, I made sure that I had a good knowledge of ABS and when there was a drafting scenario that I knew ABS could do and quickly, I pointed it out to my boss. I think between that and the cross over/upgrade price was rather small, my boss bought into it. Now, with what I am able to accomplish drafting in a short period of time I know he (I) could not live without it. After the learning curve, there is a lot to learn, with ABS you now have at your finger tips, AutoCAD, Architectural Desktop, Building Electrical, Building Mechanical and Building Plumbing, I am able to create a drawing of one or any of the above disciplines in at least 1/4 the time it used to take me, if you are recreating an existing structure, it may take a little longer to get objects to match what is existing. Drawing in 3D has never been easier; I definitely have the WOW factor ability now. Creating Elevation/Section, there is nothing to it, you have basically done it in the "model" that you create, the Elevation/Section command does the rest. If there is one statement that I must say about ABS is, Autodesk wants everyone to know about this product and wants everyone to know how easy it is to create drawings, I don't want anybody to know about it and definitely don't want my boss know how easy it has made my job.

crogersak
2004-08-17, 05:07 PM
Scott-

I would say, go to your local Autodesk BSD reseller and have them do a demo for you on the features of ABS 2005. They should be able to show the time savings for you very easily. See of the reseller as a workshop that could help persuade your bosses about the power of ABS. From what I see customers that have ABS get the bigger projects.

You can always go to the Autodesk website and see all the information posted on ABS up there. Here is the website address for you, www.autodesk.com/buildingsystems.

Charles
www.akcb.com

Beth Powell
2004-08-18, 07:11 PM
If you only count these three things, it should make a difference in time.

Interference detection
Schedules
Sections
I've just hosted two free Building Systems workshops and I think I can safely say those were the biggest "wow" factors.