PDA

View Full Version : Annotation & Standard Scale

mockdeep
2007-10-25, 08:01 PM
Is there a way to link the Annotation Scale and the Standard Scale of a viewport so that Annotation doesn't have to be changed manually every time I change the Standard scale?

CadDog
2007-11-02, 04:46 AM
Let me add a little more...

Why have Leader, Text and Hatch be independent of each other when they are dependent to each other...

Who would scale a viewport and not want everything they can scale...???

Hey, John...???

What is going on here...???
Why is the text the right size but the hatch and arrow head so big...???

Nice toy but I will wait until I create a lisp what will control all of these together or
until Autocad comes out with version 2...

Maybe it should say...

This is only a test next to anno stuff...

:)

Light Guy
2007-12-20, 12:13 PM
Can someone please tell me why Autodesk thought this Annotative Scale was a good thing? Were there just too many people who were not grasping the Model/Layout concept? I have spent 5 years teaching my folks how to work back and forth from model to layout and now, when I finally have them going good on it, they throw this at us taking us back to square one.

sinc
2007-12-21, 12:25 AM
Why is the text the right size but the hatch and arrow head so big...???

That sounds like you are using an annotative text style inside a normal dimension. Try using a normal text style inside an annotative dimension or mleader style, then the dimension or mleader will scale as a unit, and the text and arrow will always be in the correct proportion.

As for the hatches, can't help you there - as far as I know, Autodesk has not yet made hatches "annotative".

sinc
2007-12-21, 12:34 AM
Can someone please tell me why Autodesk thought this Annotative Scale was a good thing? Were there just too many people who were not grasping the Model/Layout concept? I have spent 5 years teaching my folks how to work back and forth from model to layout and now, when I finally have them going good on it, they throw this at us taking us back to square one.

Not entirely sure what you mean here...

Are you saying that you've been trying to train your crew to put all annotations in paperspace? Yeah, I suppose it does kind of mess with that, but the whole annotation-in-paperspace thing never really worked for us in our line of work, anyway, so we never did much of that.

The Annotation Scale thing is quirky, there's some bugs, all those _XREF styles are annoying, there's no way to create mleaders that rotate with the viewport, there's no "flip plan-readable" option to go with the "rotate to match view" option, etc., but I think in general they're making a good move here.

Light Guy
2008-01-04, 08:37 PM
[QUOTE=sinc;793586]Not entirely sure what you mean here...

Are you saying that you've been trying to train your crew to put all annotations in paperspace? Yeah, I suppose it does kind of mess with that, but the whole annotation-in-paperspace thing never really worked for us in our line of work, anyway, so we never did much of that.

Yes, that is what I am saying. Back in 2001, my company along with two US Naval Shipyards conducted meetings to develop CAD standards to be used when creating drawings for the US Naval ships. Part of those standards were to use model/paper, drawing in full scale in model space with the format border placed on a layout tab and another part was that ALL annotations are to be in Layout at standard height. When Autodesk introduced transpatial dimensioning that made everything easier. Do you Civil guys just not use standard paper sizes? Don't your annotations have to be readable? (say at least 1/8" high lettering)

jaberwok
2008-01-04, 09:00 PM
annotative text etc. is a result of adesk conceding that many people will never move to pspace annotation despite their efforts to make it easier to do so.

Light Guy
2008-01-04, 10:41 PM
That was my impression and the more I read, the more I am sure of it.

CADDmanVA
2008-01-05, 12:39 AM
I have given Paperspace annotating and dimensioning a really fair shake in years past. I just cannot see how it is that beneficial in the real world. We regularly have drawings which require the same annotation and dimensions across several sheets. Doing it in Paperspace was a nightmare for updates.

CadDog
2008-01-12, 04:16 PM
I have given Paperspace annotating and dimensioning a really fair shake in years past. I just cannot see how it is that beneficial in the real world. We regularly have drawings which require the same annotation and dimensions across several sheets. Doing it in Paperspace was a nightmare for updates.

Been There, Fix That...!!!

CaDDmanVA,
Here is how we normally do that...

With a set of plans which have more then 1 sheet (using matchline from sheet to sheet),
we place all our text in the ref file. This helps in maintaining a standard (ae Look) with all the sheet in the set. Also making editing a lot fast because you only open one sheet and not 25 of them.

On the sheet themselves, we place text in ps to denote the match. We also place text for the sheet title in the border. When we need to place key notes or general notes we create layer in the border or create a ref file with notes on them to attached to the sheets.

We try not to place more then that on sheet because when we need to change (we change stuff a lot) and we only need to go to a one or two sheets and not 25 sheets.

The Designer or Engineer (ok, and Architect too :) ) needs to think of managing their time and drawings better do reduce the amount of times he/she open and close sheets. Just the access time can save you time/money in the long run...

Annotations Placement on jobs with many drawings in a set:
PS = 5% (border stuff)
MS = 0%
Ref File = 95% (dimensions, text and keynotes bubbles callouts)

Annotations Placement on jobs with only one sheet:
PS = 25% (keynotes and border stuff)
MS = 75% (keynotes bubbles, text and dims)
Ref File = 5%

It really comes out to,
Selecting the currect method for the job at hand.

guitarchitect7
2008-01-12, 08:07 PM
Is there a way to link the Annotation Scale and the Standard Scale of a viewport so that Annotation doesn't have to be changed manually every time I change the Standard scale?
I may be misunderstanding this question, but I thought this was already done.

When I create a new viewport and select it to change the scale by the arrow on the application status bar in the lower right corner, my annotation scale will match it as long as the objects in model space contains the scale that is being changed to.

ccowgill
2008-02-04, 05:16 PM
from our standpoint on annotation, we annotate contours in model space, but all our notes go in paperspace, very rarely do we need duplicate notes on multiple sheets, typically we call out all our sanitary, water, and storm on our road profile sheet. My problem seems to be with annotative hatch, if I have annotation scale set at 1 in our base drawing, hatch all the objects, change the current annotation scale to 1:40, then add it to all the objects (I know there is a way to automate it with a system variable, but I cant find it) then need to add another hatch, I have to go back to annotation scale of 1 make the hatch and change it all over again. Why can I just leave the scale at 1:40 create the hatch and it look like all the others. I really like the annotative hatch because no matter the viewport rotation, it always goes the same direction. I am also looking into using annotative blocks, but not while I am experiencing this issue with the hatch. Any suggestions?

CADDmanVA
2008-02-05, 03:51 AM
from our standpoint on annotation, we annotate contours in model space, but all our notes go in paperspace, very rarely do we need duplicate notes on multiple sheets, typically we call out all our sanitary, water, and storm on our road profile sheet. My problem seems to be with annotative hatch, if I have annotation scale set at 1 in our base drawing, hatch all the objects, change the current annotation scale to 1:40, then add it to all the objects (I know there is a way to automate it with a system variable, but I cant find it) then need to add another hatch, I have to go back to annotation scale of 1 make the hatch and change it all over again. Why can I just leave the scale at 1:40 create the hatch and it look like all the others. I really like the annotative hatch because no matter the viewport rotation, it always goes the same direction. I am also looking into using annotative blocks, but not while I am experiencing this issue with the hatch. Any suggestions?

Annotative hatching is a bear at best. I have unfortunately come to the point of writing it off for the very same reasons you mentioned. As for the automatic assignment of Annotative Scales, the sysvar you're looking for is ANNOAUTOSCALE. It's also the little icon with a lightning bolt next to it beside the Annotative Scale combo box. There are a total of 5 settings it can be, so looking it up in the help file will make your life much easier. Just in case you cared...I prefer to not use it. It can cause some serious headaches if misused.