PDA

View Full Version : Light Gage Metal Stud

Thomas Maleski
2007-10-29, 03:48 PM
Don't know if anyone is interested but I have a Mtl Stud family. Take a look and comment if you see errors.

I used the SSMA catalog to get the properties and types. Currently we were only interested in the overall shape. I will calculate the Xcg later as well, but for now I set them all at 0.500" I was going to add the structural properties at a later time since the only program we have to design ltga is RAM Advanse and there is no API, the need was not there. I also left the two tag placeholders empty for now.

aaronrumple
2007-10-29, 05:23 PM
...Autodesk should pay you for that effort.

Thomas Maleski
2007-10-29, 05:59 PM
I wont hold my breath

Here's the track section

phil.156294
2008-01-18, 07:13 PM
These are great. Thanks for the files. I'm new to revit so I'm wondering how you can uses these files in a vertical span capability. They work great in a horizontal application such as a floor framing but I would also like to use them in a vertical application. Any insight?

mwoods
2008-01-22, 10:38 PM
I have heard if you are on subscription you may download a family of lt ga mtl studs that includes all SSMA products.

Thomas Maleski
2008-01-23, 01:18 PM
..and they resemble the ones I sent up to autodesk.

patricks
2008-01-23, 02:14 PM
These are great. Thanks for the files. I'm new to revit so I'm wondering how you can uses these files in a vertical span capability. They work great in a horizontal application such as a floor framing but I would also like to use them in a vertical application. Any insight?

I looked at the family and the stud is modeled horizontally with "always vertical" checked in the family categories box. I'm not sure if unchecking that would let you rotate it vertically or not.

But I'm curious as to why you would need to model metal studs? I've never modeled studs, ever. I've only drawn them in details with detail components. I do have a metal stud wall detail component that includes both top and bottom tracks.

billy342601
2008-01-23, 05:18 PM
... But I'm curious as to why you would need to model metal studs? I've never modeled studs, ever. I've only drawn them in details with detail components. I do have a metal stud wall detail component that includes both top and bottom tracks.

If someone is using light gauge metal studs for a truss design, the ability to model them is important. It's faster to model them in Revit then send to your modeling software (Risa, etabs, etc...) then to build them in the modeling software (most of the time). I have been playing with this feature to test out some of the light gauge trusses that have been called out on older projects (mainly for practice on future projects).

Thomas Maleski
2008-01-24, 11:56 AM
I needed to create and put these in our models due to client request. A part of our business is providing AE services to a modular fabricator. We are making not only field CD's but also each mod is fully detailed for the production line. Need to know every stud and it's length as well as the tubular frame and slabs.

Normally I wouldn't do this or recommend.

bunderwood
2008-04-09, 08:09 PM
This is more than likely a dumb question, but how do I load the information in the text file into the family file?

aaronrumple
2008-04-09, 10:14 PM
You don't. Revit does.
You place the two files in the same directory. When you load family, Revit reads the data and displays the catalog in the dialog...

clhattel
2008-04-11, 04:10 PM
So, is there a way to make these studs vertical? I saw someone in this thread said he heard that you can download light gage studs from Autodesk but I can't seem to find them.

phil.156294
2008-04-11, 05:33 PM
If you are a subscription member then login. Here is the link where you can download additional families:

http://pointa.autodesk.com/getPage?action=download&id=bsdSESSSL

Mike_S_Jones
2008-05-05, 05:14 PM
..and they resemble the ones I sent up to autodesk.

So, you sent something to AutoDe$k (gratis?) and they are now charging for what you created?

Hmmm...

M.

aaronrumple
2008-05-06, 04:52 PM
So, you sent something to AutoDe$k (gratis?) and they are now charging for what you created?

Hmmm...

M.

Good thing I own stock.

Maddy
2010-06-18, 02:23 PM
I looked at the family and the stud is modeled horizontally with "always vertical" checked in the family categories box. I'm not sure if unchecking that would let you rotate it vertically or not.

But I'm curious as to why you would need to model metal studs? I've never modeled studs, ever. I've only drawn them in details with detail components. I do have a metal stud wall detail component that includes both top and bottom tracks.

Recently I have started using Revit for my company. Can you tell me how to include both top tracks and bottom tracks to your wall system. And is there any way to control your stud spacing?

lrp73
2010-11-30, 12:28 AM
Has anyone been succesful in finding the SSMA familys from the subscription center?