PDA

View Full Version : AIBD members or CPBD out there using Revit

jkh
2004-08-17, 02:52 AM
Just wanted to check and see how many of the Revit users are AIBD members or have taken the NCBDC exam to be a CPBD? Just completed my CPBD exam in April of this year and joined the local AIBD Society.

Steve_Stafford
2004-08-17, 03:10 AM
I'll see your AIBD and raise you one MSRP.

Forgive me, the four letter acronyms are meaningless to me and my witty inner self would not leave me alone...please disregard my attempt at humor if it doesn't appeal

jkh
2004-08-17, 03:34 PM
Sorry Steve,

AIBD= American Institute of Building Designers, CPBD= Certified Professional Building Designer, NCBDC= National Council of Building Designers Certification

BillyGrey
2004-08-18, 08:00 PM
jkh:

It's in my crystal ball to become an AIBD/CPBD...
Just haven't seemed to have the time to get the app/plans off to the board of directors yet.
Are you a member yet?
Is the NCBDC a like organization?

Be cool,

Bill in summer

jkh
2004-08-19, 12:20 AM
Yes, I just joined the GA society of the AIBD and attended my first meeting on June 30th.
Received my AIBD membership in Aug.04 Passed the NCBDC exam on April 19 & 20, 2004. When you decide to join if CA is anything like GA give them plenty of time. I ordered the study guides in April 03 received the NCBDC study guide for the exam in June 03 started studing when I had the time and sent in the exam fees and plans in Jan 04 for a March exam date. Well it was 11 weeks before I was approved to take the exam in April 04. Note I am not saying anyone is to blame but myself, I should have joined the AIBD first before going for the NCBDC exam. The way the regulations are written AIBD membership is not required to take the NCBDC exam but as I found out it sure helps speed up the process. Now if I can just get this bunch to try REVIT, haven't found anyone yet in GA-AIBD that is using it.

BillyGrey
2004-08-19, 02:26 AM
Thanks for your insight and thoughtful reply :)

b

JamesVan
2004-08-19, 06:00 PM
What's the difference between a CPBD and a registered architect?

bclarch
2004-08-19, 06:26 PM
A licensed architect has legal standing to practice architecture based on having met state defined criteria (education, work experience, examination) required to obtain a license in that state. Being a CPBD means that you have passed an exam (created by the membership group that created the title) which allows you to use the title after your name.

BillyGrey
2004-08-20, 03:15 AM
Is that all it means?

I am enrolled in an architectural program at the university level.
I am pursuing my blarch.
It is going to take time, as I own and run a modestly successful company engaged in the practice of one off custom residential design, and I am busy, so a five year degree will probably take me, 6-7 years, unless there is a drastic slow-down in the economy in the foreseeable future.

I am under the impression that it might behoove me to peruse that particular
designation (CPBD) in the interim...

Am I incorrect in that assumption?

tia
BillyG

bclarch
2004-08-20, 02:30 PM
Is that all it means?
Yup.

I am under the impression that it might behoove me to peruse that particular
designation (CPBD) in the interim...

Am I incorrect in that assumption?
It might help as a marketing tool to attract clients but it carries no legal weight. However, it is also true that the architectural licensing laws of some states do not require licensing for single family residence design. Therefore, if you intend to focus solely on single family residences, you might not have to concern yourself with becoming licensed at all. You need to check your state's licensing laws for the definitive answer.

BillyGrey
2004-08-20, 04:49 PM
Thanks Robert,

I'm in California, which does allow residential designers to practice up to 3500sf without a professional level wet stamp. I can also design higher, and light commercial if I choose, provided I have my plans stamped by an EOR or AOR.

As far as licensing, I will at a minimum continue pursuing my degree, and go from there.

It just seems odd that a designation that is issued by an organization that reviews the work of others, or facilitates a program of certification via exam processes would only be perceived as a marketing device. I wonder how that plays; if there are real minimum standards these people have to meet, comprehensive knowledge based testing, competency reviews, continuing education, etc.
I would also like to get a member's take on that, or perhaps find out how the AIBD/NCBDC views the credibility of their own certification process.

For those that have not had the opportunity to pursue a degree or licensing, I think it would be a shame if they had no other recourse but to practice within their chosen field, (esp. if they are competent), other than under the umbrella of a designation that is nothing more than a marketing ploy.

Thank you for your insights,
Bill

bclarch
2004-08-20, 07:14 PM
The questions of licensing and competence interrelate in complex and interesting ways. There are guys that I graduated with who have gone on to become licensed architects whose buildings I would be hesitant to live or work in. There are other people I have met in the course of my professional career who have 2 year technical drafting degrees from a junior college who know more about design and construction than many architects. Its like the old joke, "What do you call the guy who finished last in his class at medical school? A Doctor!" At some level, all professional licensing is dubious, but it also does help to insure some basic level of competence. It also provides for a legal way to protect the public from the utterly incompetent frauds.

Now, regarding the difference between state certification and professional association certification, here is the party line. In theory, professional practice laws are passed to protect the public by officials that are elected by the public. Since these officials are answerable to the public through the ballot box they will act in the public's best interest (remember, I said this was in theory :) ). One the other hand, professional membership groups exist for the benefit of their membership and what is in the group's best interest might not reflect the best interests of the public as a whole. On a global scale, think OPEC. They are also answerable to their members alone and not to the general public.

I will leave it up to others to say where theory ends and practical reality begins.

BillyGrey
2004-08-20, 07:50 PM
Nice take Robert.

I tend too see everything you stated at eye level, including your last sentence :)

Thank you sir.