PDA

View Full Version : existing surfaces and profiles

seven_tech
2007-11-01, 10:17 PM
ok, here is one for you guys. If i create an existing surface in my "Existing Conditions plan" and later xref that plan into a new drawing that I have started, how do I select the Existing Surface for my profile when the Exist. Surface was not created in the drawing with that i am doing my profiles in??

brian.hailey933139
2007-11-02, 01:37 AM
That's what Data References or Vault is used for.

seven_tech
2007-11-02, 12:05 PM
That's what Data References or Vault is used for.

true. apparently autocad has included a "help" file. after i wrote this I realized that autocad included a help file and it might have some useful information in it. thank you for answering though. Do you use Vault? If so, what is your take on it? I am just getting my feet wet with Civil 08 (if you could not tell) and trying to explain how it is used and the advantages of Vault to the higher ups is a little hard right now.

jpaulsen
2007-11-02, 02:50 PM
Vault will require a lot of research on your part to make the determinition if it is right for your firm. You can reference C3D objects with data shortcuts also.

Some of the advantages of Vault include file versioning (timeline backups), file archiving and depending on how you set up the working folder can prove to have some performance increases if working across a WAN.

Some of the disadvantages include the possible need for additional hardware and software, time required to setup and maintain the Vault and the need to train employees a whole new method of accesing their data (drawings are no longer "opened" they are "checked out").

We have 4 offices which would have required 4 Vaults, one in each office. I could not justify the time, effort and cost of setting up four servers. For now we are using data references but may look at Vault again in the future.

brian.hailey933139
2007-11-02, 07:04 PM
I personally like vault. After the initial training Jeff mentioned, I believe it is easier for the end user to use than data shortcuts. Log into the vault, create a reference from the object you want. Want to add an object to the project? Simply add the drawing to the project and allow the object to be referenced. There is a bit more for the IT department to handle, as Jeff mentioned, but if they exist (the IT department), there job is to support the end users.