PDA

View Full Version : Electronic Shop Drawing Markup

jsr13
2007-11-02, 03:08 AM
We are finding a growing demand for electronic submittal of shop drawings - at least the detailers are sending them to us in PDF format. So we (and at least one architectural firm) are pushing to mark them up and send them on to the next reviewer electronically.

This will save $$ for a few reasons: 1) because there will be no cost of plotting out 6 (or more) sets of drawings, 2) no expenditure of time/resources to hand deliver the sets from one reviewing office to the next, 3) save $$ because all of those sets do not have to have marks transferred to multiple sets, 4) instant delivery (via email or FTP) to the next reviewer dramatically cuts down on the "round trip" of the drawings, and 5) eliminate mistakes because of marks being missed in the copying of marks from one set to the other 6 sets.

Everybody wins when the fabrication can proceed with less chance of mistakes and nobody puts out a ton of money for sets of drawings. Sounds great, right?

The problem with this whole thing is that we need to be able to safeguard our marks so that they cannot be changed by someone else - either accidentally or by someone pulling a fast one. Let's face it: the 0.1% that would purposely do something like that are the reason that it is a necessity.

We can do this with Acrobat (by password protecting the file) but the next reviewer is then not capable of adding their own marks/comments without having the password, thus compromising the integrity of our marks/comments.

DWF and Design Review: I am not very familiar with DWF and Design Review. I do know that there is a way to create DWF files from any Windows program (via a printer driver?). That would solve the ability for the detailers (and any others who submit shop drawings, truss drawings, concrete mixes, etc.) to create the DWF files. If I remember right, there is also a way to embed the DWF viewer into the file so that anyone can read the file even if they don't have programs installed. What I'm not sure of is the ability to safeguard those marks. Is there any way to conduct this whole process in a DWF fashion?

I figure that there has to be a way for me to (password) protect my marks, send it on, they protect their own marks, send it on, and so on, and so on.

Am I the first to come up with this concept?

If there is no way to do this with DWF, is there something that I have missed in Acrobat? I know that this is supposed to be only Autodesk software that we deal with in here, but...

Maybe this is a definite Wish List Item for the guys at Autodesk to consider if they want to broaden the horizons of the DWF format. Maybe they already have?

Has anyone else found a solution to this?

Thanks in advance for ANY help here!

:banghead:

Railrose
2007-11-02, 02:52 PM
We don't do much with PDF's, but I do a lot of work with scanned images. I can scan a line drawing & send it like any other document & the receiving group can plot them, or use photo editing software to mark them. They normally just print & mark them because they don't want to learn computer software, plus they can't take the computer out into the plant & into tight work areas to make their marks.

As far as security goes, the files are like any other photo files.

jsr13
2007-11-02, 03:34 PM
We have come up with a workaround/solution:

The official word from the DWF Beta Manager for Autodesk is this:

"This has indded been raised many times before and is already being looked at
actively."So we found the answer in PDF.

What you do first is to leave file security out of it - that is do not password protect the file.
Create your marks but do not use the Note Tool. You can use Text Boxes and other line & box tools.
When you are done, print your PDF to another PDF of the same size. This will ensure that your marks are now part of the "new" PDF and cannot be changed.
Forward this "new" PDF along to the next in line for review. They follow the same instructions for their marks and print to PDF, creating a brand new PDF where both sets of marks cannot be changed. That version then gets forwarded on.So simple that it was almost overlooked.

If you get everyone together from the start, you can even make sure that each reviewer uses a different color for the background of the Text Boxes so that it is easy to distinguish who made which marks.

====================

This will have to suffice (I guess) until someone comes along with password protected comment layers.