PDA

View Full Version : Default field values

junkdiver
2007-11-07, 02:58 PM
I'm using a title block that was created by an architect and has multiple lines of attributes for the sheet title, most of which, will be empty.
I have set up the attribute values as a field CurrentSheetCustom with each having a unique Custom Property Name. When the block is inserted onto teh border the null values resort to the default value (----). How can this be changed to show the field as null?

david_peterson
2007-11-07, 03:19 PM
Just as a thought, I'm thinking that the reason that those are showning the --- is because there's no data entered. I'd try entering a space via the space bar in the empty attribute values.
Just a thought.

junkdiver
2007-11-07, 03:26 PM
Tried adding the space but on REGEN autocad removes the space and replaces value with the field's default value.

david_peterson
2007-11-07, 03:31 PM
Then I guess I'd remove the field and just leave the attribute blank if it's not being used. Fields require information from my understanding. I guess your other option would be to create a pen style (or color) that dosen't plot and set the text of the field to that color. You'll still see it that way but it won't plot. I'll tell you I'm not the expert on field around here so you may want to hold off and hope for more responses. Are doing through PN or a different method. If it's more of an Acad thing than an ACA thing I can move the thread to a different forum for you if you like.

junkdiver
2007-11-07, 03:41 PM
Whatever it takes to get this problem solved is fine with me. I'm getting to the point of dropping the sheet set manager altogether.

david_peterson
2007-11-07, 04:13 PM
Please note, I've moved your thread to the Autocad Fields forum.

leothebuilder
2007-11-07, 04:16 PM
I wouldn't drop the sheet set manager. (or Project Navigator in ACA) The PN is a vital part of the ACA workflow. Just don't go overboard with fields. The way I have my titleblocks setup is with all static info in a xref.(Project name, address etc.) Only the variable info is done with fields. (drawing title, drawing number, revision etc.)

junkdiver
2007-11-07, 07:37 PM
My dwgs are set up the same way. I've been through a lot of the post on this site that dealing with this subject and either I'm totally misunderstanding some of the solutions that are given or the fields just don't work, I keep getting "----".

Chris.N
2007-11-07, 10:18 PM
My dwgs are set up the same way. I've been through a lot of the post on this site that dealing with this subject and either I'm totally misunderstanding some of the solutions that are given or the fields just don't work, I keep getting "----".i've placed fields i don't always use on different layers that get turned off... (double title vs. single line title, etc...)

gab_frgz
2007-11-07, 10:31 PM
la solucion es
\U+00A0

dgorsman
2007-11-07, 11:46 PM
Will putting in a full stop "." as a default work? Something that is not prominent, but will still allow for directly setting the attribute?

junkdiver
2007-11-08, 12:29 PM
Will putting in a full stop "." as a default work? Something that is not prominent, but will still allow for directly setting the attribute?

I looked at using "." and using different layers but it's a sloppy fix. you should be able to have a blank field without a lot of work or fixes that could come back later and bite you.
As for the \U+00A0 and <ALT> 0160, I tried putting those in the individual sheet properties of the sheet manager and I get what I typed or I get the default "----".

bcowper
2008-03-07, 02:50 PM
I'd like to see a proper solution to this also - I thought AC2008 would have fixed this, but alas no:cry:

My current workaround is to edit the field with the period (.) or ---- to change its colour to 255, making it invisible when printed, obviously this is no use if you need to see the field on other copies of the block..

ariamu
2017-02-17, 08:35 AM
Thanks gab_frgz! This solved my issue. Instead of a space, which is automatically removed, i wrote \U+00A0, and the Field appears blank. No (----) anymore. :-)

cadtag
2017-02-17, 12:12 PM
Generally, i'll use %% as the default value in SSM. That shows up as nothing in the drawing, and is a bit shorter than \U+00A0 :mrgreen:

MMccall
2017-02-17, 01:06 PM
I've been using the name of the SSM field as the default value. It leads the user to the correct value they need to edit in order to fill in that line of the title block. In the SSM template, one of the SSM fields we never use I have an instruction to use %% for a blank value.