PDA

View Full Version : How to Create a Simulated Network Drive?

Jack Cheong
2007-11-13, 01:00 PM
I'm using ACAD 2008
My AutoAD install in D drive
I want to create a simulated network drive to test the options settings
After I log-in to the "AutoCAD Shell Active", I key-in as follow:
C:\SUBST Q: C:\Q
Path not found C:\Q

What's going wrong? Do I need to create a Q:\SUPPORT first, and the Q drive is it must be a network drive?
Anyone can help me about this?
thanks!

Jack Cheong

.T.
2007-11-13, 05:51 PM
I'm using ACAD 2008
My AutoAD install in D drive
I want to create a simulated network drive to test the options settings
After I log-in to the "AutoCAD Shell Active", I key-in as follow:
C:\SUBST Q: C:\Q
Path not found C:\Q

What's going wrong? Do I need to create a Q:\SUPPORT first, and the Q drive is it must be a network drive?
Anyone can help me about this?
thanks!

Jack Cheong

Hi Jack.

First, did you create a directory on your C drive called Q (ie c:\Q )? That directory needs to exist first before subst can map to it.

Another method would be to create the directory on your C drive and share it, then, either map a drive letter to it, or use the UNC path.

To share the directory:
In explorer:
- create the test directory
- right click on that directory and select "Sharing and Security"
- click "Share this folder"; you can probably leave the default share name it gives.
- you'll probably want to click the "Permissions" button and add "Change" permissions to
the Everyone group for testing purposes.

You can then map a drive letter to that share by going to "My Network Places -> Entire Network -> Microsoft Windows Network -> browse through your domain/workgroup to your computer (your computer name can be found by right clicking on "My Computer", selecting "Properties" and going to the Computer Name tab) and find the share. Right click in that folder, and select "Map Network Drive" and select the drive letter you want (Q in your case) from the Drive: drop down and click "Finish".

You can also access that share by using the UNC name in the form of \\<computername>\<sharedfolder>. For example, if your computer was named "JACKSPC", and the share name for the directory was "TESTDIRECTORY", the UNC would be \\JACKSPC\TESTDIRECTORY

I'm not sure what the current theory on mapping drives or using the UNC paths for settings in Autocad is. I use UNC whenever I have directories shared from a server to eliminate problems that can be caused by inexperienced users re-mapping drives on their machine.

I hope this helps.

hugh.69031
2007-11-15, 01:11 AM
In my (limited) experience, mapped local shares in XP work fine until your computer is disconnected from its network.

Jack Cheong
2007-11-16, 02:13 PM
Hi Jack.

First, did you create a directory on your C drive called Q (ie c:\Q )? That directory needs to exist first before subst can map to it.

I hope this helps.

Thanks, it work in this way!
But, how to test whether AutoCAD can access the Q directory?

Jack Cheong

JGA_o1
2008-05-09, 10:49 AM
A bit late to reply, but try Visual Subst by Alexander Avdonin.
http://www.ntwind.com/software/utilities/visual-subst.html