PDA

View Full Version : CREATING SECTIONS

dbutler.144607
2007-11-13, 01:40 PM
I AM TRYING TO CREATE A LONGSECTION OR A GROUND PROFILE FROM A STRING OF POINTS AND IT WILL NOT LET CREATE IT WITHOUT CREATING SOME FORM OF SURFACE. ANY IDEAS ON HOW TO GET ROUND THIS?
using the section commands

jaberwok
2007-11-13, 08:44 PM
I don't really understand the question but - a polyline?

AutoCAD-Adviser
2007-11-17, 01:53 PM
For creating a ground profile, I discovered that the command SECTIONPLANE works fine with the option: Orthographic.

For creating a ground profile. Set UCS to "World".
Type SECTIONPLANE, Press Enter > Type O, Press Enter > Type Top, Press Enter.

You can edit the elevation of the section plane: Select the section plane, next move the light-blue top arrow grip, up or down. Furthermore, you can change the width of your sectionplane, by moving the square grips horizontally.

mmccarter
2007-11-19, 03:43 PM
Doesnt sectionplane only work with solids and surfaces?

I think the OP was asking for a way of doing this without creating any type of surface or DTM from what sounds like survey points with real world z values in CAD.

jaberwok
2007-11-19, 07:57 PM
Doesnt sectionplane only work with solids and surfaces?

I think the OP was asking for a way of doing this without creating any type of surface or DTM from what sounds like survey points with real world z values in CAD.

It also sounds like he isn't using vanilla autocad.

AutoCAD-Adviser
2007-11-20, 01:18 PM
I AM TRYING TO CREATE A LONGSECTION OR A GROUND PROFILE FROM A STRING OF POINTS AND IT WILL NOT LET CREATE IT WITHOUT CREATING SOME FORM OF SURFACE. ANY IDEAS ON HOW TO GET ROUND THIS?
using the section commands

If you just want a 2D ground profile, then you could create a closed polyline, by snaping to the points (object snap). Finish the polyline command with close (C). Create the polyline on a separate layer.

Capt. Computer Crasher
2007-11-20, 07:34 PM
It also sounds like he isn't using vanilla autocad.

I believe he is using Civil3D or LDT

dbutler.144607
2008-05-26, 03:20 PM
ya sorry ment to mention civil 3d 2008. im taking the points from a contour survey that was created with another package and changed to some form of cad.