PDA

View Full Version : Same Layout on several Sheet Set

mcatalano1975
2007-11-14, 08:56 PM
Is there a way to use the same sheet/layout on several sheet sets?

It seems it can`t be done, but i don`t understand why. I´m using Autocad 2008.

Thank you
Martin

Chris.N
2007-11-14, 10:55 PM

Thank you
Martin
THE same sheet (file)? or a standardized sheet? if you want the actual sheet file in many SSM sets, the answer is no. SSM will not allow that.

mcatalano1975
2007-11-15, 11:35 AM
I use the same sheet on several proyects, because they are standardized components.

For example we build tanks, and we want to use the same stair on different tanks.

I want to make it easier to print all the sheet that belong to every project, some are specific for that proyect and some are common components used on severral proyects.
Some are sheet/ layouts are in tha same .dwg file, and some are in different ones.

I think someone must have the same problem.

Am I clear? I know my english is no as good as i wished.

rkmcswain
2007-11-15, 12:50 PM
You'll have to copy the 'standard' .DWG file into each project.

mcatalano1975
2007-11-15, 02:14 PM
You'll have to copy the 'standard' .DWG file into each project.

But then, if I change something in the standard component, I´ll have to do it in every project.

It seems SSM won´t help me.

Am I the only one with this problem?
Don´t you think we should be able to use the same sheet/layout on several projects?

Thank you for your help

rkmcswain
2007-11-15, 03:06 PM
But then, if I change something in the standard component, I´ll have to do it in every project.

Correct, but then how often do these 'standards' change?

Don´t you think we should be able to use the same sheet/layout on several projects?

It's been submitted to the Wish List.
See: http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=32002
I'm not sure of it's status at the moment.

Chris.N
2007-11-15, 07:19 PM

It seems SSM won´t help me.

Thank you for your help
i xref that stuff (drag n drop views) from my network. if something in the batch of details gets customized, then it gets moved to the specific project and re-pathed.

jmctamney
2007-11-21, 03:19 PM

Thank you
Martin

Seems this thread got a little off topic.

I am having similar issues. I have 2 sets of revisions for 2 seperate submittals that i need to track seperately and I'm trying to creat a sheet set for each submittal (ex. ASI #10 & CCD #5). I've sort of made it work by copying the original sheet set, renaming it for the submittal and deleting the layouts (sheets) I don't need. Problem is, when a sheet gets added to the submittal I can't put it back in it's sheet set because it says it's part of another sheet set. Any ideas about a work around?

Chris.N
2007-11-21, 03:39 PM
Seems this thread got a little off topic.

I am having similar issues. I have 2 sets of revisions for 2 seperate submittals that i need to track seperately and I'm trying to creat a sheet set for each submittal (ex. ASI #10 & CCD #5). I've sort of made it work by copying the original sheet set, renaming it for the submittal and deleting the layouts (sheets) I don't need. Problem is, when a sheet gets added to the submittal I can't put it back in it's sheet set because it says it's part of another sheet set. Any ideas about a work around?
i don't know if all offices are the same or not, but when we create Addendums and ASI's, they are to be considered an update or clarification and / or revision to the current document set, i.e., if a full sheet were to ever be re-printed, the updated version will always be the only choice.

SO! what i do is update the actual project sheet, and if it's only a small portion of the plan, all i do after i've gotten the changes made, copy the layout, rename (ADD#1-XX) and then cull down to just the information that i need.

before SSM, we USED to create whole new directories similar to what you're trying to do, but it got WAY too confusing trying to figure out what was the most current, so we made a policy that there will ONLY be one drawing file per sheet per project. haven't had many complaints since.

jmctamney
2007-11-21, 03:53 PM
i don't know if all offices are the same or not, but when we create Addendums and ASI's, they are to be considered an update or clarification and / or revision to the current document set, i.e., if a full sheet were to ever be re-printed, the updated version will always be the only choice.

SO! what i do is update the actual project sheet, and if it's only a small portion of the plan, all i do after i've gotten the changes made, copy the layout, rename (ADD#1-XX) and then cull down to just the information that i need.

Ok....that's similar to what we would do normally but this particular project is a whole different beast. It's had multiple construction packages and addendums/revisions to each of them, in some cases while we are trying to get another package out. It's basically a design build project that was never intended to be due to it's tight schedule which is wreaking havoc on the whol process. So, until we are confident that all major submittals have been completed we issue full sheets and use revision clouds to track the changes. So, the drawing thats in the the directory will always be the most recent. Since I've been the only CAD monkey working on it, tracking isn't a problem. As you can see by the numbers we are on our 15th revision and with over 100 sheets in the project I'm trying to use the SSM to keep track of the sheets in each submittal. It's not going to well but as stated before, I have found a workaround. I just need to re-do it every time I have to add a sheet back into the list unless someone knows a better way to accomplish this with the SSM

before SSM, we USED to create whole new directories similar to what you're trying to do, but it got WAY too confusing trying to figure out what was the most current, so we made a policy that there will ONLY be one drawing file per sheet per project. haven't had many complaints since

I think you might have misundertood. I'm not creating new sheets for the revisions (although that would make SSM work the way I want to) I just need the sheet/layout to be in seperate sheet sets so that I can generate a sheet list and easily publish only those sheets needed.

Chris.N
2007-11-21, 04:37 PM
I think you might have misundertood. I'm not creating new sheets for the revisions (although that would make SSM work the way I want to) I just need the sheet/layout to be in seperate sheet sets so that I can generate a sheet list and easily publish only those sheets needed.
oh, i make publish lists saved that describe the publish reason. I've been publishing to and using DWF's heavily for this reason on my current project to track the changes. that way i still only have one file per sheet.

jmctamney
2007-11-21, 04:49 PM
oh, i make publish lists saved that describe the publish reason. I've been publishing to and using DWF's heavily for this reason on my current project to track the changes. that way i still only have one file per sheet.

Oh if it were only that easy. The main thing I like about trying to use the SSM is the fact that I can generate a sheet list and export it to excel. From there it's easy to generate sheet lists, naratives and the like. I don't mean to be such a pain in the a.. I guess I'll just keep doing what I'm doing since it seems as though the SSM isn't capable of this...YET.