PDA

View Full Version : Editing the Revit Hatch .PAT File

jeff.richards
2007-11-14, 09:27 PM
O.K.,

I'm already virtually bald, so I have no more hair to pull out, and I really need to figure this one out. I am attempting to add a pattern to the existing Revit.pat file. Unfortunately when I open a project and attempt to find the new pattern it doesn't show.

How did I get here? I read the Revit Forums and found that you can edit the existing .pat, and with some excellent direction including the "Revit Hatch Patterns Decoded.dwg" I edited the Revit.pat to include a 36x24 block pattern (per request of a user) in my notepad making sure the word wrap was turned off.

I then opened Revit and attempted to duplicate an existing material and assign the new pattern to it. No luck. I took the advice of an existing post and used Excel to test the comma placement. Nope. Well, ..., I now seek the advice of the all wise Revit Experts. Here is my code:

*Block 24x36, 24 x36 blocks running bond
;%TYPE=MODEL
0, 0, 0, 0, 24
90, 0, 0, 0, 36, 24, -24
90, 18, 0, 0, 36, 24, -24

DaveP
2007-11-14, 11:04 PM
Have faith, you're almost there.
You can'[t just edit the PAT file like you could in DeadCad.
In Revit, you also need to create a Fill Pattern that uses your new gorgeous creation.

Go into the Settings menu, then Fill Patterns.
Click on the New button.
Click the Custom radio button
Click on the Import button.
NOW you'll be able to see everything in the PAT file & you can bring the new pattern in.

HTH

hugh.69031
2007-11-15, 12:52 AM
In fact you can import from any text file that has a .PAT extension.

Hugh Adamson
Cadro Pty Ltd
www.cadro.com.au/hatchkit (http://www.cadro.com.au/hatchkit)

jeff.richards
2007-11-15, 06:20 PM
DaveP,

Yes, faith, I had forgotten my faith.

It worked! Thanks for the push. It is always the little things.

Peace,

Jeff

Duncan Lithgow
2011-08-23, 01:51 PM
There is now an add-in for revit for graphically editing and creating pat files. It's called Hatch22 and can be found here: http://revitinfo.com/Revit_Forum/Entry_Details/EntryID/354/hatch22-a-revit-hatch-pattern-tool.aspx

Duncan