PDA

View Full Version : Lock Views

chippy
2007-12-06, 07:34 PM
Is it possible to lock/save the aspect of a view so the model cannot be rotated in that view & therefore change how it then appears on the drawing sheets?

The model still needs to be updated with changes, just not change the aspect of the view.

I know you can save the position on the F8 dialogue, but it doesn't allow you to save it with a name, that could be returned too; if somebody made changes to the view.

cdetore
2007-12-06, 09:18 PM
It is possible to pin a crop region. This prevents it from being accidentally rotated. It will remember the pin even if you hide or uncrop the view.

CD

chippy
2007-12-06, 10:20 PM
Hi CD

I've tried your suggestion

I can still rotate the model within the pinned crop region.

Chippy

gordonp147484
2007-12-06, 10:45 PM
Is it possible to lock/save the aspect of a view so the model cannot be rotated in that view & therefore change how it then appears on the drawing sheets?

The model still needs to be updated with changes, just not change the aspect of the view.

I know you can save the position on the F8 dialogue, but it doesn't allow you to save it with a name, that could be returned too; if somebody made changes to the view.

I think in the end you will find that you are looking for a technological fix to what is really a training problem. If you don't want the view rotated, the real keys is having everyone understand that the view shouldn't rotated and why. In simple terms Revit is all about "Given them Knowledge, then give them Power". Without the knowledge first, having power in Revit can be very dangerous. But you have to not fall back on the AutoCAD methodology of "Lock it, so those without Knowlege are not dangerous".

The other thing is, make sure people work in Working Views, so that Sheeted Views are left alone, and people can still get the work done. Again, very different from the CAD approach, but very useful in Revit.

Best,
Gordon

Scott D Davis
2007-12-06, 10:57 PM
Thats a great question: why are you needing to rotate views? Is it a project north/true north situation?

chippy
2007-12-06, 11:55 PM
Hi Scott

Sorry, my terminology must be different.

I'm talking about dynamically rotating the 3D model views, which I am including on the drawing sheets.

A picture/3D model/3D section speaks a thousand words.

Our office is only 5 weeks into using Revit, so it may only be our displine with Revit that is lacking.

Thanks for the feedback

Chippy

Alex Page
2007-12-07, 01:04 AM
What could solve your problem is changing the project browser from "Views (all)" to "Views (not on sheets)" - therefore those 3d views, (and/or plans/ elevations etc etc ) already setup on your sheets dont come up in the listings so staff dont use them to 'model' the building with.

On that note, we duplicate floor plans and name them 'WD-Ground Floor" etc and these are the only floor plans we use to model with, (and put our constraints etc etc on)

Also note that to access the views with "Views (not on sheets)" selected is to look under the sheets within the project browser

Methinks this will solve your problem

dbaldacchino
2007-12-07, 01:20 AM
Chippy, if someone orbits a 3D view that is on a sheet, unless they intentionally save the new orientation by clicking the save icon on the dynamic view dialog, the view will be restored automatically to previous settings when the file is re-opened. So really, you shouldn't have a problem. I'm not sure if the aspect ratio is also saved with the orientation settings though.

ejc
2007-12-07, 07:17 PM
Our projects usually have at least 3 people worksharing at a time. I have enforced a couple of simple rules to prevent accidental manipulation of views.

1. If the view is named, then leave it alone. If it still has the default name, it is fodder!
Or, if it wasn't important enough to change the view name to "cover sheet 3D", then i hate it for ya!

2. The default plans created with "Levels" are for model building. I always duplicate the "Level Plans" and create "Architectural Plans".

The architectural are for all the notes, callouts, beautification, etc. and go on the sheets as finals.

The "Level Plans" can have the cut planes changed around or whatever is required to get the model built.

My 2 cents,

ejc

chippy
2007-12-09, 05:13 AM
Hi Guys/Gals

Thanks for the help.

Between gordonp, alexpage & ejc, I have my answer.

Chippy

iandidesign
2007-12-09, 06:45 PM
I think in the end you will find that you are looking for a technological fix to what is really a training problem...

It's true that nothing is more valuable than good training and established office standards. But even with those in place it's not unreasonable to expect Revit to provide tools to help prevent unwanted changes. Locking as-builts or completed phases are common examples. A simple view/sheet lock parameter, with corresponding visual indicator in the project browser would be very useful and presumably easy to implement.

chodosh
2007-12-09, 08:14 PM
One thought, you could make the View workset Editable if the project is Worksharing enabled, thus locking it out only to your username. But, as with any Workset scenario you will have to communicate this clearly to everyone on your team.
HTH,
LC

Jay Zallan
2008-01-07, 08:45 PM
Chippy, if someone orbits a 3D view that is on a sheet, unless they intentionally save the new orientation by clicking the save icon on the dynamic view dialog, the view will be restored automatically to previous settings when the file is re-opened. So really, you shouldn't have a problem. I'm not sure if the aspect ratio is also saved with the orientation settings though.

In practice many people use the "shift/Middle-Mouse button' method and in those cases the views stay as changed and won't revert back. As others have said, it really is a knowledge issue: If (most) only users only knew the power of F8 (and things like the "undo" button there)!!!
http://bp3.blogger.com/_msFnLh0Iqls/R4KOZctqKmI/AAAAAAAAAeU/zLrwr9gRLsQ/s1600-h/Untitled.jpg
http://bp3.blogger.com/_msFnLh0Iqls/R4KOZctqKmI/AAAAAAAAAeU/zLrwr9gRLsQ/s1600-h/Untitled.jpghttp://bp3.blogger.com/_msFnLh0Iqls/R4KOZctqKmI/AAAAAAAAAeU/zLrwr9gRLsQ/s1600-h/Untitled.jpg

dbaldacchino
2008-01-08, 05:58 AM
I don't think that's true....once you either hit the revert button on the Dynamic View dialog or close and re-open the project, the view goes back to the view's saved version. I use the scroll button all the time to orbit around in 3D space.

HawkeyNut
2008-01-23, 11:07 PM
I understand that people shouldn't rotate isonometric or perspective cameras. But accidents do happen. It is way to easy to rotate a camera when its view is open.

The only way I know to currently truly 'lock' camera views is to make them part of a specific workset and have that workset checked out by someone other than the file editors.

It would be very nice to just be able to pin a camera. (Actually, you can; it just doesn't prevent the camera from moving!)

asaastad
2008-03-17, 08:58 PM
If you don't want the view rotated, the real keys is having everyone understand that the view shouldn't rotated and why.

I don't think that's really a "doing things the way you would in AutoCAD" point of view. I think it's more of a general practices of electronically creating CDs. It would be nice to just assume that everyone will adhere to the office standards and any training on how to create and use views, content, etc; but that is probably wishful thinking that any office with more than about two drafters. Anyone who sets up projects that will be used by people besides them self should do so under the assumption that everyone is an idiot. One thing I do not like about some of the tools implemented in the last couple of releases of Revit is that it is very easy to override and change how everything looks, but not many ways to give the managers control over the project to do things like lock 3D views into place so that a conscious effort needs to be made to change it.

So far the most annoying things I have run into with Revit is people going in and flying around my views and not closing without saving and people that do not seem to get that once a project has had worksets enabled you DO NOT work in the central file... I think they need to make a "Gripes" section for Revit. Or at least the Revit equivalent of the Coffee Without CAD or whatever its called area of the AUGI boards. It's too easy to get off topic, lol.

DaveP
2008-03-21, 04:52 PM
I... I think they need to make a "Gripes" section for Revit. Or at least the Revit equivalent of the Coffee Without CAD or whatever its called area of the AUGI boards. It's too easy to get off topic, lol.

Geez, sometimes it feels like this whole Forum is a Gripes section!
But seriously, folks, you probably want to check out Out There:
http://forums.augi.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11