PDA

View Full Version : Detailing in Revit - drawbacks on creating and reusing details

amara
2007-12-18, 08:10 PM
Among the most powerfull advantages of Revit is the ability to manipulate the whole project on all levels - scales, from the macro scales of 1:500-1:100 to the detail scale levels of 1:10 ... so if you change any item's property on one level, say on the 1:10 detail level, it changes in all other levels. However, this is only true for true model components. Once we move into drafting details, this stops to be the case. The problem with detailing is that it is hard to keep working on model based components, especially when many details are called from a detail library. So with design development, unless unique details are created for each detail case - which is totally unreasonable - the details do not always confirm with the model based components of the project, so each detail needs to be individually updated. so we end up hiding all model components and details end up being dumb drafting views.
On the other hand, if we keep model based components in details - such as walls, levels, grids, etc. which I prefer, we can't export them for reuse in other projects.
I would like to know how others are dealing with this issue. Is it the same tedious process of cut and past then doing adjustments? If this is the case - as I assume it is - is there a better way of reusing details and creating detail library from a project other than tracing over all model components then hiding them.
As a workaround, I would like to see a process where a certain view with all model and other components can be saved as a drafting view, (blue print copy as it was referred to in earlier posts). It is like exporting to acad and then reimporting, but why loose all the particulars - hatches, line types, fonts, etc.? I think this will make the process of creating details much easier.
Any feedback will be greatly appreciated

dgreen.49364
2007-12-18, 10:52 PM
You can't model everything, hence the detail/detailing with components dilemma. As a general rule, we do not do any detailing until we are past design development and into construction docs. The exception being some of our standard details.

truevis
2007-12-18, 11:46 PM
Yes, exporting view to 2D Revit would be sweet. AFAIK, exporting to DWG or image is the only way at this time.

How about: Export only the model items of the view to DWG and bring them back in with your detail items?

nancy.mcclure
2007-12-18, 11:59 PM
You can Save To Library detail views that have a model-view base, with Detail Components overlaid on them. The resultant .rvt file will contain a portion of the original model (extent seems to correspond to view parameters of the initial section/callout used to create the detail). The model elements can be changed out for new types within the freestanding detail view itself. Pretty cool.

Because this does contain model elements, you can only load in the 2D elements of the detail view into a drafting view for use in another project. It takes a bit of getting used to, but this enables you to efficiently reuse much of the added info - construction components, text, dims - and apply it to a new 'live' model view, so that your detail view base is true to the families of your current project.

d.stairmand
2007-12-19, 10:59 AM
You can also Lock the Detail Components to the 3d Model - So when it moves so does everything else

Dwane Stairmand

amara
2007-12-19, 12:25 PM
I suppose it will be helpful to have the option to change model components into detail components when inserting from file, so the imported view will be usable to the full extent. Regarding locking detail lines - components to model elements, is there a way to lock items as they are drawn, rather than aligning/locking at a later stage? I assume there should be an option to ataumatically lock items.

ijnicholas
2007-12-19, 03:57 PM
Among the most powerfull advantages of Revit is the ...I would like to see a process where a certain view with all model and other components can be saved as a drafting view, (blue print copy as it was referred to in earlier posts). It is like exporting to acad and then reimporting, ...
This looks like a wishlist item. If rvt allows us to select a dtl view and change it to drafting view (converting model elements to lines, etc.) would help us in reusing the details .

cperez.73833
2008-01-03, 09:20 PM
You can Save To Library detail views that have a model-view base, with Detail Components overlaid on them. The resultant .rvt file will contain a portion of the original model (extent seems to correspond to view parameters of the initial section/callout used to create the detail). The model elements can be changed out for new types within the freestanding detail view itself. Pretty cool.

Because this does contain model elements, you can only load in the 2D elements of the detail view into a drafting view for use in another project. It takes a bit of getting used to, but this enables you to efficiently reuse much of the added info - construction components, text, dims - and apply it to a new 'live' model view, so that your detail view base is true to the families of your current project.
In Revit 9.1 I was able to Save to Library detail views. Now we are using Revit Architecture 2008, and when I try to Save my views to the Library I get an error message - Unspecified Error.
Any help with this would be greatly appreciated...

DaveP
2008-01-03, 09:49 PM
[quote=cperez.73833;795963]- Unspecified Error.quote]

Check out his thread:
http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=73011