PDA

View Full Version : Support Files on the Network & The Server Being Down

KGC
2008-01-02, 03:14 PM
Our server is down this morning. And will prob be down for another hour or two. I have located all the AutoCAD Support files on the server. People are still able to get on Autocad of course, and i havent heard of any issues yet, but shoud i be worried of anything.

Is there something i can do or implement for something like this.

Anyone have any thoughts on this kind of situation.

rkmcswain
2008-01-02, 03:41 PM
Some people have it setup where the support files, etc. are copied to the local PC at startup each time, and the support paths point to this local path. We don't do this.

We have not had a server go down in the last 5 years, so it has not been an issue here.
Regardless, the server that contains our support files also contains the drawing files... so if the drawing files were inaccessible, the support files wouldn't do much good anyway...

On the other hand, we have 5 offices - each has a mirrored copy of the support files (not the drawings) on their local server via DFS - so in a worst case, we could copy these.

KGC
2008-01-02, 03:51 PM
We also have our drawings on the server too. But some people like to save copies of drawings on there HDD (even though they shouldnt be) and i really dont think its an issues this morning, because no one had the chance to do this, but sometimes when the server is down briefly people will make copies to there HDD and work off of those.

Im just trying to do a little planning ahead.

BTW I am finally getting around to this and had a question, just trying to clear this up

(setq sfsp
(strcat
"\\\\SERVER\\CAD\\SUPPORT;" Why are there several \ here. I assume that this is relative to the support path being used or something like that
"\\\\SERVER\\CAD\\LISP;"
"\\\\SERVER\\CAD\\FONTS;"
(getvar "ROAMABLEROOTPREFIX") "SUPPORT;"
acadloc "\\SUPPORT;" Where is this looking?
acadloc "\\HELP;"
acadloc "\\EXPRESS;"
acadloc "\\SUPPORT\\COLOR;"
acadloc "\\LAND;"
(getvar "LOCALROOTPREFIX") "SUPPORT;"
"C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\Autodesk Shared\\GIS\\FDO\\2.0;"
"C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\Autodesk Shared\\GIS\\FDO\\2.0\\Oracle;"
"C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\Autodesk Shared\\GIS\\FDO\\2.0\\ArcSDE;"
"C:\\Program Files\\Autodesk Land Desktop 2006\\Land;"
"C:\\Program Files\\Dotsoft\\Toolpac\\;"
"C:\\Program Files\\Dotsoft\\XL2CAD"

Thanks,

Kenton

Opie
2008-01-03, 03:23 PM
The extra slashes are required for text strings in AutoLISP. A single slash escapes the following character. So to get a single slash in your final string you need to add an additional slash for each occurance.

KGC
2008-01-03, 03:33 PM
I have this working now, i appreciate the response though. I have noticed that ACAD is running a little slower though. And that a path to the local settings application data has been added.

Right now i am in the process of adding a new computer to the network and getting everything installed. When im done, ill see what ACAD looks like here.

Thanks

i also just noticed that my dictionary is not working. In options it says that the value is stored in the registry or use the DCTMAIN.

KGC
2008-02-05, 09:31 PM
1 quick question.

Is there an easy way to reset to default settings for the support file settings.

Im trying to see if my LISP is working, but if my settings are already to set to look somewhere thens its tough to check that.

One way i was thinking going about this, was to make a new .exe with a particular cui loaded that had different file loactions.

Is that possible and if so would that.

How is everyone else checking to make sure there LISP and CUI's work without screwing things up, for yourself or on the network.

Thanks

Opie
2008-02-20, 10:07 PM
You could create a second profile which loads different locations. You could load this with the "/P" option in a shortcut icon from your Desktop or Windows' Programs Menu.

guitarchitect7
2008-05-22, 04:14 PM
We also have our drawings on the server too. But some people like to save copies of drawings on there HDD (even though they shouldnt be) and i really dont think its an issues this morning, because no one had the chance to do this, but sometimes when the server is down briefly people will make copies to there HDD and work off of those.

Im just trying to do a little planning ahead.

BTW I am finally getting around to this and had a question, just trying to clear this up

(setq sfsp
(strcat
"\\\\SERVER\\CAD\\SUPPORT;" Why are there several \ here. I assume that this is relative to the support path being used or something like that
"\\\\SERVER\\CAD\\LISP;"
"\\\\SERVER\\CAD\\FONTS;"
(getvar "ROAMABLEROOTPREFIX") "SUPPORT;"
acadloc "\\SUPPORT;" Where is this looking?
acadloc "\\HELP;"
acadloc "\\EXPRESS;"
acadloc "\\SUPPORT\\COLOR;"
acadloc "\\LAND;"
(getvar "LOCALROOTPREFIX") "SUPPORT;"
"C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\Autodesk Shared\\GIS\\FDO\\2.0;"
"C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\Autodesk Shared\\GIS\\FDO\\2.0\\Oracle;"
"C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\Autodesk Shared\\GIS\\FDO\\2.0\\ArcSDE;"
"C:\\Program Files\\Autodesk Land Desktop 2006\\Land;"
"C:\\Program Files\\Dotsoft\\Toolpac\\;"
"C:\\Program Files\\Dotsoft\\XL2CAD"

Thanks,

Kenton

New to this idea here, so looking for some tips and clarification. What does this LISP routine do that is above? I recognize that it might be copying support files as discussed before; is that correct?

Besides maybe trying to find a good prevention for sever down time and loss of file support, I'm also trying to come up with a good way to set permissions on a network server but allow constant usuage for portable laptops when away from the server.

A steer in the right direction would be awesome. Thanks.

rkmcswain
2008-05-22, 05:32 PM
New to this idea here, so looking for some tips and clarification. What does this LISP routine do that is above?

All that is doing is setting a variable that contains the support file search paths. It's missing the actual line that sets it. No file copying is done.

Besides maybe trying to find a good prevention for sever down time and loss of file support, I'm also trying to come up with a good way to set permissions on a network server but allow constant usuage for portable laptops when away from the server.

That is an alternative. Instead of mapping everyone to a central point for support files, you can copy the support files to each machine at boot up.

Pros: files are available if network is down, most everything is local
Cons: files can be modified by end user, multiple copies of support files floating around.

guitarchitect7
2008-05-22, 05:45 PM
All that is doing is setting a variable that contains the support file search paths. It's missing the actual line that sets it. No file copying is done.

That is an alternative. Instead of mapping everyone to a central point for support files, you can copy the support files to each machine at boot up.

Pros: files are available if network is down, most everything is local
Cons: files can be modified by end user, multiple copies of support files floating around.

Thanks for the reply.

When you say copy at boot up, do you mean that when the actually start the program files are copied over of that exact instance. Or, as how I have it set up now, the files are just updated by a copy in Windows Explorer so each time the start the program they have the necessary support files to run the program correctly. This then would require me going around and upgrading the support files each time content is added.

I have heard of ways that you have both. When plugged into the network, the laptop runs off the central location, but when it's disconnected its then runs off its local drive. I think this required some modifications to the registry which I really don't feel comfortable doing.

Now maybe the first option is the best of both worlds. If there was a lisp or something that would double check and update the support files on each boot up and then copy that onto their local drive, this could be helpful. I would only have to update the network and allow the lisp to update the computers, thus always ensuring that when they're disconnected, they will always have the most up-to-date support files.

dxarhoulakos
2008-05-29, 04:00 PM
Some people have it setup where the support files, etc. are copied to the local PC at startup each time, and the support paths point to this local path. We don't do this.

We have not had a server go down in the last 5 years, so it has not been an issue here.
Regardless, the server that contains our support files also contains the drawing files... so if the drawing files were inaccessible, the support files wouldn't do much good anyway...

On the other hand, we have 5 offices - each has a mirrored copy of the support files (not the drawings) on their local server via DFS - so in a worst case, we could copy these.

Hey RK,

Could you tell me a little more about how you mirror the support files? I only support two offices, but its a pain in the a$$, copying all support files back and forth. Not only do I have to copy the files, I have to change all file paths in the scripts, and lisp routines, since the drive mapping is different from office to office.

rkmcswain
2008-05-29, 08:07 PM
Hey RK,

Could you tell me a little more about how you mirror the support files?

Google DFS (Distributed File System)

As far as the different paths, the paths stay the same at each office.

For example:

Office 1 is pointed to \\office1server\share\cad\support

Office 2 is pointed to \\office2server\differentshare\cadd\support

That is fine. With DFS you are essentially synchronizing these two locations.

dxarhoulakos
2008-06-10, 01:05 PM
Google DFS (Distributed File System)

As far as the different paths, the paths stay the same at each office.

For example:

Office 1 is pointed to \\office1server\share\cad\support

Office 2 is pointed to \\office2server\differentshare\cadd\support

That is fine. With DFS you are essentially synchronizing these two locations.

the problem i have is this:

I have an autoload.lsp file that essentially loaded into the company cui. that file loads all the lisp routines. since the file paths that load them are different, i can't synchronize the files.

KGC
2008-06-10, 01:23 PM
Well ideally you would have both office servers setup the same.

I work in 2 offices, but both servers are setup the same, same L, H, & M drives, the only thing different is the name of the server.

dxarhoulakos
2008-06-10, 02:15 PM
Well ideally you would have both office servers setup the same.

I work in 2 offices, but both servers are setup the same, same L, H, & M drives, the only thing different is the name of the server.

in a perfect world...yes...unfortunately...i dont have that luxury, nor do i make the decision for it.

KGC
2008-06-10, 02:46 PM
Are the folder structures the same?

If so, then i would think that as long as you write the string to only look back so many folders it would still work. I don't know for sure though.

rkmcswain
2008-06-10, 05:41 PM
the problem i have is this:

I have an autoload.lsp file that essentially loaded into the company cui. that file loads all the lisp routines. since the file paths that load them are different, i can't synchronize the files.

That is exactly what DFS solves.
The paths will not be different.
Both paths can be set to the DFS path (i.e.: \\myserver\cad\stuff) - which points to whichever server is physically closer to the end user.

dxarhoulakos
2008-06-11, 01:15 PM
That is exactly what DFS solves.
The paths will not be different.
Both paths can be set to the DFS path (i.e.: \\myserver\cad\stuff) - which points to whichever server is physically closer to the end user.

thanks. i'll look into it further.