PDA

View Full Version : Avoiding Duplicate Types

LanthierD
2008-01-03, 04:08 PM
I am working in Revit Architecture 2008. Here is the scenario, maybe there is a better way to do this in general.

We have Partition Types Sheets that we are carrying over from AutoCAD and I am recreating as Revit objects in drafting views.

There are 5 seperate sheets with a total of about 49 partition types as well as some details and other info.

In AutoCAD when you put together your Partition Types sheet you just open the master sheets and copy/paste the partition types you need for your project into your A041 Part. Types sheet and you're done.

Not such a smooth deal in Revit.
In theory you would copy the drafting view of the sheets template and into your project.
But you can not just highlight what you want to copy and paste into your project as you get the "Cannot paste view-specific elements from different views." error message.
You can't even paste between drafting views in the same project.

The best way I have figured to do this is to make each partition type it's own drafting view that you can drag and drop onto the A041 Partition Types sheet.

BUT... this is the bigger problem....I have tried both copying the drafting view by r-clicking on the name of the drafting view and and pasting into the project. And I have tried the File>Insert from File>Views which allows you to pick the views you want to have in your project.

Both these methods would be fine EXCEPT... I get the warning:

The loaded type "..." has been renamed to "..." to avoid conflicts with the existing type.

And then it has a list of types it is renaming (see attached screen capture for more info).
So now in my project instead of just having one of that type I have multiples of the same thing renamed with a numeric extension depending on the number of items.
(example attached)

If I have a large project with a lot of partition types this would get ridiculous and unnecessary.

I can't have the other users go through and change everything to the correct type to purge out the rest, this would never work in the long run.

Is there any way around this? Some setting that allows duplicate types? Some different way of going bringing the partition types in? I thought about making them families but we use condoc and general note tags that can not be added in families.

TIA for any help! :beer: