PDA

View Full Version : Bind Link Options - Attached Details

DaveP
2008-01-04, 04:13 PM
When you Bind a Linked Revit model, in the
Bind Link Options dialog box, there is an option for
Attached Details

Anybody have any idea what this does? There's no explanation in the Help file & I haven't noticed any difference with or without this option checked.

patricks
2008-01-04, 04:46 PM
I would think it would bind in the detail views of the linked project into the main project. That would be the logical function. But then again I've only rarely used linked files and never tried the bind function.

DaveP
2008-01-04, 04:58 PM
That's kind of what I figured, too. But, as I said I don't see any difference if I check the box or not. There are no new Detail Views created if I check the box or not.

ajayholland
2008-01-04, 05:06 PM
Binding a linked file converts it to a group. Geometry goes into a model group; 2d elements go into a related detail group. You have the option to include this, or not.

To place the detail group, select the model group and then go to the options bar. (see attached)

~AJH

DaveP
2008-01-04, 08:38 PM
OK. Guess that makes sense.
Thanks guys
(but I wish it was documented better)

Now I'm on to my next step. I Linked in an old project, then Bound it. Next, when I go to UnGroup it, I not only lose the old Phasing, but it combines everything from the old project into the new project's current phase - even stuff that had been Demo'd.

I can live with the combining, but is there any way to nuke the old project's "Demo" stuff?

seandburke
2008-01-15, 01:56 AM
Open a copy of the old project and remove the demo items first.

You can do this efficiently by setting up a new Phase filter that only shows demo items. Apply this filter to a 3d view and use the nuke, er, delete button.

Cheers.

patrick.villella
2011-10-14, 04:32 PM
I would think it would bind in the detail views of the linked project into the main project.

I know this is a very old thread, but I've run across this question with several firms I've consulted with. The documentation in Revit is very poor and the label 'Attached Details' is a bit misleading. As mentioned, this has to do with detail groups, not detail views. It seems that including the word 'groups' in the label would really clear this up.

The issue is that many users expect that this option allows us to bring over detail views (drafting views, callouts, etc.) from the linked project, as PatrickS though. That's what it sounds like to me, as well, but that isn't the case. Drafting/detail views do not come over when a project is bound.

Instead, use this method:
From the Application bar (the big purple R), hover over Save As and choose the Library option. You'll see that this gives you the option of exporting views from a project. Do this from the linked project so you can export the drafting views. This creates RVT files of the views. Then, from the Insert tab of the ribbon, in the host project, you can choose Insert From File --> Insert Views from File to get them into your original project.

I hope that clears things up a bit. This method is very useful when merging two RVT files that need to be combined into a single project file.