PDA

View Full Version : Broken Data Shorcuts

randyc
2008-01-08, 06:46 PM
My coworker seems to have a continuing issue with data shortcuts in the drawings he creates being broken whenever he opens his drawings after logging out of windows and logging back in again. I watched him create the data shortcut in the source drawing, export it to a project folder on our network, then import and create the reference in his target drawing, so I am sure he did it correctly. But, when he logged out and logged in again, the shortcut was broken and he had to import the data shortcut again in order to refresh the surface.

This is not the first time he has experienced this kind of issue. He has had trouble in the past with my drawings that have had data shortcuts in them. To him, all my data shortcuts were broken, but were fine for me, even though we both had access to the same network folders.

Has anyone else ran into this issue? Please advise.

brian.hailey933139
2008-01-08, 09:30 PM
Let me guess, Civil 3D 2007? This was fixed with a service pack (3 I think). Make sure he has it installed.

randyc
2008-01-08, 10:26 PM
I kinda thought that might be it. I am one of only two people that have SP3 installed at my workstation, so that makes sense. I'll be submitting a help request today, thanks for the feedback. :)

brian.hailey933139
2008-01-08, 11:46 PM
Get everyone on that service pack. It really does make a good diference in many things other than the one you've found.

randyc
2008-01-09, 12:06 AM
Believe me, if it were up to me, I would. But it's not, it's up to our IS department, and they'll only do it on an "as needed basis".:roll:

Jmurphy
2008-01-09, 02:49 PM
Believe me, if it were up to me, I would. But it's not, it's up to our IS department, and they'll only do it on an "as needed basis".:roll:

Then get the payroll guy to tell the IT guy that they only get what the lowest pay guy in the compancy gets. If the peon there can make ends meet at min wage then they can too.

randyc
2008-01-09, 04:46 PM
LOL Jmurphy :lol:. Thanks, I'll keep that thought in mind but I'm going to try and stay on thier good side for right now. They're going to be upgrading our workstations in a couple of months, and those will have Civil 3D 2008 on it. From what I've heard 2008 is a much more stable application and will hopefully provide us with fewer headaches (yeah, I'm an optimist...).

brian.hailey933139
2008-01-09, 07:42 PM
When you get 2008, make sure you have service pack 2 installed.

As for an "as needed basis", productivity, last I checked, is needed and the latest service pack makes your people more productive. Sounds like a lazy IS person to me.

randyc
2008-01-09, 08:12 PM
It's not totally Info Systems' fault, they are a staff of 12 serving over 400 employees and thier workstations. Perhaps some better time and resource management would aide them, but for now being the loudest squeaky wheel gets thier attention more than anything:roll:. And I really can't complain because they are giving us an AutoCAD upgrade within two years of our last, which has never been done before. They also like us more these days because we have a fairly large yearly tech budget and whenever we upgrade our hardware it's like Christmas for them because they get to take all of our old workstations and upgrade other departments with them. I know from the outside all of this seem extremely inefficent (and believe me I know it is:|) but I have been here over 13 years and we are lightyears ahead of where we were when I started. Hopefully it will continue to only get better...

brian.hailey933139
2008-01-11, 01:34 AM
I probably jumped to conclusions when I used the "L" word. It just seems so simple. Go to the computer, run the service pack, and your done.

randyc
2008-01-11, 01:53 AM
No worries, you're not the first person to think that. I know I've been guilty of it more times than I can count :Oops:. Like I said, from outside in the world of common sense this all seems really insane :screwy:, but there is a horribly long backstory to it all that I won't go into (really, I could write a book about it, filled with drama, action, intrigue, the whole bit). But also like I said, in the long run we're better off now than we were just a few years ago, and it seems to be getting better all the time.

Actually AUGI and AUGI members like yourself have helped this edevour quite a bit. By giving me a resource to research issues we come up against it has made getting help requests resolved much more quickly, because 80% of the time I've already told our help desk what the issue is and how to solve it, thus eliminating the need for them to spend time researching it, allowing them to them to get to other tasks. This last issue is an example of just that. Within a couple hours of me submitting the help request my coworker had SP3 installed and issue was resolved with very little work needed on the part of our IS department. ;)