PDA

View Full Version : Symbolic lines in elevation

NKramer
2008-01-11, 12:54 AM
I am having visibility issues with symbolic lines. Whenever I create a new family (from this template for instance) symbolic lines do not show up in elevation unless there are other model objects visible, see the attached project. If you go to the 1-a elevation and drag a window over the the center of the wall you will see the wall based family. If you select this family and turn on the "vis" parameter (turns on a mass object) then the symbolic lines show up, if there is no other geometry visible then the lines appear to be hidden(?) and cannot be aligned, dimensioned, etc. The symbolic lines also appear in elevation if there is geometry (solid or even symbolic lines) shown in plan. I have tried this several times with the same result. I have even tried creating a new object style for the symbolic lines and nothing seems to work.

On a side note symbolic lines appear to work just fine in plan view...

I am using Revit 20080101_2345. I have attached a project with the problematic family as well as the default project template and the generic wall based template.

PS. I am aware of the symbolic line issue where it will sometimes ask you which (reference) plane you want to host them on. When this happens I pick a plane, draw a line somewhere, exit out of the command, reselect symbolic lines, draw what I want, and then delete the first line (which is actually a model line).

aaronrumple
2008-01-11, 04:46 PM
Leave the 3D object as visible. But uncheck Front/Back and Left/Right so it doesn't show in elevation.

Also set your linework to a projection category rather than a cut category. (FE Symbol [projection])

NKramer
2008-01-11, 09:49 PM
The real issue is what if you don't have 3d objects? This came up because I need to make a dozen or so toilet room accessory families and I don't have the time or want to model the whole thing. So I was just trying to import from cad and trace using symbolic lines but to no avail. I tried contacting my reseller and they basically just told me that I was doing it wrong and symbolic lines are only intended to symbolize 3d geometry, which was of no use.

In a round about way I ended up taking with Scott Davis and he couldn't come up with an absolute fix. For now I will just put a symbolic line in plan and lock it to the wall edge. (that also seems to fix the problem). Which really leads me to say that it is a Revit issue because symbolic lines show up in plan but not elevation unless there are also symbolic lines in plan. makes a whole lot of sens, hu?

Nick

aaronrumple
2008-01-11, 09:57 PM
Add in a masking region. this solves the issue - don't ask me why - so you don't need any geometry. Youll want the masking region anyway as the accessory might end up on a tile wall.

In general, I recommend at least a very basic 3D object for display in 3D - even a box. Sometimes you want to move an object while in 3D and you won't be able to if there isn't anything there. It forces you to go back to that 2D view. If you can only see the objects in 2D you might lose a few if there is no view looking at them This then throws schedules off.

NKramer
2008-01-11, 11:00 PM
Makes sense. But sometimes I'm just to lazy/ busy to model so I have someone else drop in and trace the cad....
For now it will either be the symbolic line in plan locked to the wall or the masking region...

Nick

aaronrumple
2008-01-14, 03:32 PM
...also not that if you have a view where the object is shown in an oblique elevation, it will look as if it isn't there. Just something to watch out for which can lead to an apparent omission.