PDA

View Full Version : How's the new build, post y2k8..?

Rick Houle
2008-01-14, 03:11 PM
Has anyone come up with any reason NOT to install the latest Jan-2008 build..?

I have to test the installation for mass distribution and am just curious of the latest word...

Gadget Man
2008-01-16, 02:23 AM
Apart from the new install changing all our serial numbers to 000-000000000 so far so good... But it looks like the serial number issue is an old story anyway...

samov
2008-01-16, 08:24 AM
well. it fixes the memory leak issues i've been having... so far so good... quite a fix.

DaveP
2008-01-16, 08:28 PM
it fixes the memory leak issues i've been having... .

Just curious.
Which build were you using before the January build? Was it November's SP3? Or an earlier version.
Also, what kind of memory leak are you talking about? Something specific, or just "Revit gets slow in the afternoon"?

I was about 3/4 done (our of 80 installs) with SP3 when the January build came out. I'd really rather not go through that again, but if it helps memory....

c-hawk
2008-01-16, 09:12 PM
Dave,

When you have that many installs you should look into the myriad push technologies on the market to automate rolling out the new builds.

DaveP
2008-01-16, 09:46 PM
That's what I keep telling our Desktop Support person!
Somehow, though, it doesn't matter if it's a lot of work for me. It's only his own workload he's concerned about.

We did try to push the MSI once upon a time, but there's jsut enough other things involved (setting the user name in the INI file, pushing updated content) that we could never quite make it work.

I had my 12-year old come in between Christmas & New Years to help me. :shock:

sbrown
2008-01-16, 10:09 PM
It still shouldn't take very long if you have a network deploy, its basically going to each machine and double click. At the worst it should be loggin in as admin, then doubleclick and log out. We wrote a small bat file to copy a custom .ini file to each machine with our office shortcut keys and unique pathing.

DaveP
2008-01-16, 10:35 PM
Precisely what I did. And why I could have Ellen do the installs for me.
I'd run around & log in as admin & she'd run the Batch file.
The Batch file would run the MSI network deploy & then copy in the content & INI

wmullett
2008-01-17, 11:48 PM
I just started a new thread because the new build still does not work correctly in groups with hosted families where the host is not incorporated.

bowlingbrad
2008-01-18, 12:54 PM
Precisely what I did. And why I could have Ellen do the installs for me.
I'd run around & log in as admin & she'd run the Batch file.
The Batch file would run the MSI network deploy & then copy in the content & INI

Do you uninstall the previous version in the batch file?

DaveP
2008-01-18, 03:17 PM
Here's my batch file

REM Save the old INI file & Keyboard Shortcuts file
copy "C:\Program Files\Revit Architecture 2008\Program\Revit.ini" "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop"
copy "C:\Program Files\Revit Architecture 2008\Program\KeyboardShortcuts.txt" "C:\Program Files\Revit Architecture 2008\Program\KeyboardShortcuts.bak"

REM Do the actual installation
\\05cfs01\apps\Software\Revit\RAC2008\AdminImage\Setup.exe (file://\\05cfs01\apps\Software\Revit\RAC2008\AdminImage\Setup.exe) \\05cfs01\apps\Software\Revit\RAC2008\AdminImage\RAC2008_SP3.ini (file://\\05cfs01\apps\Software\Revit\RAC2008\AdminImage\RAC2008_SP3.ini)

PAUSE

REM Restore the shortcut
copy "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Autodesk\Revit Architecture 2008\Revit Architecture 2008.lnk" "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop"

REM Restore the INI & Keyboard Shortcuts file
move "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop\Revit.ini" "C:\Program Files\Revit Architecture 2008\Program"
copy "H:\Software\Revit\RAC2008\Program\KeyboardShortcuts.txt" "C:\Program Files\Revit Architecture 2008\Program\KeyboardShortcuts.txt"

REM Edit the INI File to add new paths
notepad "C:\Program Files\Revit Architecture 2008\Program\Revit.ini"

In a nutshell, I save the old INI file, run the network deploy (which is smart enough to overwrite the previous installation) and then restore the INI files.
The network deploy runs asynchronously, so you need the PAUSE to make the Batch file wait until the deploy is done.
Then I bring the INI file into Notepad so I can edit a couple of other items that have changed.

Rick Houle
2008-01-22, 10:22 PM
I am having weird things occur in my groups and my families since the Jan-2008 build.

Families are grabbing objects that should not be included... I edit my refrigerator family and find tables and chairs inside there... Load the fam into a clean template and the table and chairs do not show up (but are now included in my fam tree)... IN other cases, groups are removing items that should be included... These weird happenings are occurring with Revit users who know what they are doing. These probs. are occurring in several projects that are unrelated. I will create a new thread and post samples...

cphubb
2008-01-24, 03:52 AM
Someone told me today that the new build SP3 January has memory leaks and not to install it.

I have installed it and there appear to be no problems. I ran it all day yesterday and it was fine. I had another firm tell me they were not installing it because the VAR told them there were leaks.

Has anybody heard or experiencedmembor leaks?

Gadget Man
2008-01-24, 04:05 AM
So far it works normally. Had no problems with it whatsoever... But I am doing only a residential stuff. It's pretty involved though (very ornamental traditional style Queenslanders) with a lot of fiddly fully modelled elements going into hundreds (skirt battens, lacework, verandah brackets, etc.) that normally slow my regenerating time considerably, especially working with the shadowed views, but so far so good...