PDA

View Full Version : How do you draw Pipes in profiles??

dmb.159134
2008-01-30, 04:59 PM
I know how to create existing grade and finished grade profiles with civil3D but what i'm wondering is how do you profile exisiting pipes and new pipes. This is pretty much my first project with Civil 3d so please forgive my ignorance.

Sorry, I see I posted this in the wrong place. Can I move it?

CADiva
2008-01-30, 05:08 PM
Look in the pipes menu for Draw pipes in profile view. :)

dmb.159134
2008-01-30, 05:17 PM
Look in the pipes menu for Draw pipes in profile view. :)

OK. So I have to create a pipe network out of all the existing pipes in the plan before I can profile them?

brian.hailey933139
2008-01-30, 07:33 PM
Yup. Or you can mimic them with a layout profile. I would go with the pipe networks method myself.

dmb.159134
2008-01-30, 09:39 PM
Thanks for your help. I will see what I can do with it.

dmb.159134
2008-02-11, 08:09 PM
Next Question. If I have a pipe that crosses the alignment. How do I get it to show only at the point where it crosses the alingment instead of showing an ellipse for each end?

CADiva
2008-02-11, 10:00 PM
I assume you mean that you have a pipe crossing and need to show it as an ellipse or a circle? I handled mine by creating a style by copying the normal pipe style but I turned the displays off and on for what I needed it to show. You will have to control the view style from within the pipe network tab on the profile view. There may be an easier way, but thats how I did it.

wag24
2008-05-05, 01:44 PM
Just a follow up question to that comment. I had the same question of how to only show the point at which the pipe crosses and alignment. I turned on all 2D display layers and I can now see the ellipse where the pipe is crossing the roadway profile. My question now is how can I only show where the pipe is crossing the roadway profile alignment without turning off all my layers in my actual pipe profile? Thanks!

avn
2008-05-28, 09:12 PM
Showing a pipe crossing within a certain distance of an alignment was one of the wishlist items I submitted last year. It didn't get picked.

It is sort of anoying to show pipes 200' away when all you care about is the crossing and a lot of times it won't show the ellipse for the crossing, just the pipe.

Maybe next year

KansasCAD
2008-06-02, 02:46 PM
Next Question. If I have a pipe that crosses the alignment. How do I get it to show only at the point where it crosses the alingment instead of showing an ellipse for each end?

I would like to know if and how you get it to show the ellipse on both ends. I need to show this when we have skewed pipes and want to label the flowlines at each end in the profile. Is this possible?

Thanks,

Daryl Standrich

shadygrafix
2008-06-03, 04:28 PM
To answer questions:

1: To create pipes in the profile you need pipes. If you have existing linework for the pipes this is easy to do if you have pothole info or as builts with vertical elevation information. Change the line work into a feature line. Now go through the feature line placing vertices where the as built information is applicable. Depending on what you used this should make your top, bottom, or center of pipe. Now because when you create a network by object it uses the object as a centerline you need to compensate as such. So drop/raise the entire feature line with either the move command or the panorama. Create the network by object holding the object vertices (it's at the bottom of the window that pops up). now you have a network you can draw in a profile.

2: Creating crossings and profile linework. Create 2 styles, one that shows profile linework without crossing linework and the other showing crossing linework only. Make sure all of your pipes are on the profile linework style. Draw the parts in profile (it's best to get in the habit of typing s for selection they should have had you type a for all instead). Now go to the profile properties dialog box and select the pipes tab. If you scroll all the way to the right you will notice a override column, change the pipes you only want to show as crossings to the crossing only style. This works on all pipes and all pipes that are in the station range of the referenced alingment can be drawn in the profile.

Hope this helps someone.