PDA

View Full Version : referencing sheets

pdickman
2008-01-31, 09:55 PM
My office likes to back-reference drawing details. I have been using the referencing sheet parameter to do this and it works okay most of the time. The problem is that some of the references are referring to the wrong sheet. Is there a way to correct this? Also, it would be great if all of the referring sheets could be listed. (i think we could live without that if we had to.)

dhurtubise
2008-01-31, 11:55 PM
Wrong sheet? Can you explain a little bit more or post an example?
What do you mean by list the referring sheets? You mean if one is referred to multiple times?

dhurtubise
2008-01-31, 11:56 PM
Wrong sheet? Can you explain a little bit more or post an example?
What do you mean by list the referring sheets? You mean if one is referred to multiple times?

pdickman
2008-02-01, 03:56 PM
Okay, I came in this morning and one of my references was "mysteriously" fixed so I tryed to figure out what happened.

I had a section detail that I had referenced off of a 1/4" scale drawing (a4.31). The back reference was calling out the composite plan (A1.07) instead of A4.31. I noticed that I did have a section callout on A1.07, so I hid the section mark on A1.07. It seemed to make no difference last night.

When I came in this morning, the detail was referencing the correct plan (A4.31). Apparently I needed to close and reopen the file. (it will also correct when I save to central and then back to my hard drive).

So in short, TO CORRECT A REFERENCING SHEET PARAMETER

1. Check the incorrectly referenced sheet.
2. Hide the section tag in view.
3. Save to central or close and reopen.

For the second part, I have a stair detail that shows up on several sheets. I would like my back-reference to name all those sheets.

UPDATE: I tried to do this again, but it didn't work. Iseem to be 3 for 4.

UPDATE 2/4/2007: The one that was not referencing correctly on Friday is referencing correctly today. I think there is a ghost in my machine.

twiceroadsfool
2008-02-01, 04:09 PM
Im having trouble understanding exactly what is going on, but it sounds to me like someone else on your project team moved or renumbered a view, and the referencing tags didnt update... Until you hit Save to Central. Thats normal, as you wont "download" there changes until thsyve saved to central, and youve reloaded latest (or saved to central).

That being said... I personally find the "Reference other view" tag to be a minor liability, in that someone can place one, and if the conditions of the model change so that it is no longer relevant, it will not know that automatically, as its just a reference.

We use them, but what i recommend to circumvent this issue, is that on our projects NO ONE uses the "ROV" markers until RIGHT before drawings are going out. THEN we go through and place the view references. This avoids a bit of confusion on our project teams.

Too many times ive seen someone use ROV to call out a specific Slab edge condition, only to have a Project Manager decide that at that location, the slab edge needs to be different. It gets updated in the live wall section, but becasue some view in the set has a ROV tag, the drawings go out uncoordinated.

The Revit Purist in me wants to see that pesky tool gone forever, but i know it wont happen. :)

tyler.kawahara356150
2008-02-04, 10:09 AM
That pesky tool is necessary from where I sit. If it wasn't there, you could only call out a detail in one spot! Also, you wouldn't be able to refer to imported details.

I would love to see the ability to change the detail that a callout is referring to instead of having to delete the 'bug' and redraw it...

clay_hickling
2008-02-08, 01:51 AM
[QUOTE=pdickman;807320]So in short, TO CORRECT A REFERENCING SHEET PARAMETER

1. Check the incorrectly referenced sheet.
2. Hide the section tag in view.
3. Save to central or close and reopen.

Had similar problems to you.
Tried the hiding the section mark but no luck.

When you add a section it goes across many views. Users then typical hide the section in the views they don't want leaving the section mark in the view they need. Problem seems to be that when all of those veiws and sections are on the sheet Revit references to the first sheet in the dwg list that has the section mark on it even if it is hidden. Thus the problem. If we go thru and remove those views off the sheets it eventually gets to the sheet you need. Youo then add the views back on the sheets
Seems odd way of doing it.
This is coming up more with our Struc people who have many versions of plans, slab, marking, roof framing etc and when say they cut a section to go with a roof framing plan they have to go thru the above for all the slab plans then the marking plans until the section refers to the correct roof framing oplan. Hope this makes sense.

ppaige
2009-03-05, 10:51 PM
We were having this issue, too, and Revit was being difficult in that it didn't want to update the callout to the correct sheet even though it was hidden on all the other sheets.

I found a workaround where I add a reference callout to the sheet I WANT, and Revit will then update the existing callout. I can then delete the reference callout. I would describe it as "flicking Revit in the head" to get it to update. (STC did not consistently work)

kathy71046
2009-03-05, 11:32 PM
On my last project, I got this issue during the structural engineering drawings, which I overrode with text as the fact you only had the tag in one window didn't help at all.

Then when I did my panel elevations, it altered all the engineering tags that intersected...very annoying as I can't reprint my eng drawings now without a lot of rework on the tags.

ppaige..

how do you add the callout to the correct sheet when it's already there?

Could you explain your method for the rest of us that have this problem please?

Scott Womack
2009-03-06, 11:32 AM
We were having this issue, too, and Revit was being difficult in that it didn't want to update the callout to the correct sheet even though it was hidden on all the other sheets.

I found a workaround where I add a reference callout to the sheet I WANT, and Revit will then update the existing callout. I can then delete the reference callout. I would describe it as "flicking Revit in the head" to get it to update. (STC did not consistently work)

This issue arose when they added the "Override Graphics by Element feature. a few releases back. It happened because the Back Reference is giving the sheet number of the First sheet number where this mark could possibly be displayed, based upon its setting for "Do not Show at Scales Courser than" If you want it to only refer back to a "larger" scale drawing, change this value in its Element Properties. Please note, some types of Viiew references do not have this feature.

A more consistent fix, is to remove the plan from the sheet where you had hidden the offending section/detail/callout from its sheet. Save to Central, then replace that plan on its sheet, and the back reference will remain showing a sheet later in the project.

swalton240189
2009-04-15, 08:50 PM
This issue arose when they added the "Override Graphics by Element feature. a few releases back. It happened because the Back Reference is giving the sheet number of the First sheet number where this mark could possibly be displayed, based upon its setting for "Do not Show at Scales Courser than" If you want it to only refer back to a "larger" scale drawing, change this value in its Element Properties. Please note, some types of Viiew references do not have this feature.

A more consistent fix, is to remove the plan from the sheet where you had hidden the offending section/detail/callout from its sheet. Save to Central, then replace that plan on its sheet, and the back reference will remain showing a sheet later in the project.

We are having an issue like this but with callouts made on a wall sections. The the detail 11/A6.11 was originally called out on 4/A5.14. Things were working fine then we did a callout on 3/A5.12 Referencing Other View pointing to 11/A6.11. Now on Sheet A6.11 detail 11 is saying Referenced from 3/A5.12. We tried removing 3/A5.12 from the sheet Saving to Cent. then placing it back on but as soon as we do it changes the referenced from back. I assume this is becasue it comes earlier in the set. Does anyone have ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks