PDA

View Full Version : DIM TEXT MOVES

wroebuck
2008-02-07, 07:29 PM
I have dim text that is moved from the home position. If I grip one end & use the grips to stretch the dimension, the text remains in the current location. If I use the stretch command & window, selecting that same dimension; the text will move with the extension line. Is there a variable or setting to disable that? Anyone else have this issue? It really makes it a pain when I have dimensions inside a Dyn Blk.

jaberwok
2008-02-08, 01:30 PM
Are you looking for the "home" option of the "dim" command?

wroebuck
2008-02-08, 03:14 PM
Nope. I'd like for the text that is moved away from the home position to stay where it is placed if I stretch the dimension at a later time. Right now it moves when I stretch. Thanks for the reply.

jpaulsen
2008-02-08, 07:08 PM
If I grip one end & use the grips to stretch the dimension, the text remains in the current location.

I'd like for the text that is moved away from the home position to stay where it is placed if I stretch the dimension at a later time.
I'm confused. In your first post you told us how you can stretch a dimension and leave the text in it's current position. What exactly is the issue?

BrenBren
2008-02-08, 08:32 PM
I'm confused. In your first post you told us how you can stretch a dimension and leave the text in it's current position. What exactly is the issue?

I think the issue is arising in DB's, where you are using a stretch parameter. If you move the dim text away from the home position, it will stay where you put it if you stretch the dimension using grips, but if you stretch using a crossing window, it will move. When you are setting up DB's, you have to use a window to select the objects you want to stretch using a stretch parameter.

I'm not sure if there is a way to make this text stay where you stick it. I'm still looking.

BrenBren
2008-02-08, 08:35 PM
Nope. I'd like for the text that is moved away from the home position to stay where it is placed if I stretch the dimension at a later time. Right now it moves when I stretch. Thanks for the reply.

Have you tried, when creating your DB and using the stretch param, to not select the entire dimension extension line? I'm not sure if that'll work in DB's or not, but for a regular dimension, if you just select the lower portion of the extension line, the text stays put.

wroebuck
2008-02-08, 09:13 PM
What version of AutoCAD are you running? Back in 2007 this wasn't an issue. Since 2008 it has been.

BrenBren, you nailed it on the head. That is the problem I'm having. But it occurs in both my dynamic blocks & with just plain dimensions.

If anyone was to lay down a linear dimension, grip the dim text and move it away from the home position. Stretch using a window just on the extension line. the text will move. I don't want it to. If you grip that same dimension, & use the grip point to move the extension line, the text will remain where it was.

Since I need to stretch using a window selection, I am having this issue.

BrenBren
2008-02-08, 09:29 PM
What version of AutoCAD are you running? Back in 2007 this wasn't an issue. Since 2008 it has been.

BrenBren, you nailed it on the head. That is the problem I'm having. But it occurs in both my dynamic blocks & with just plain dimensions.

If anyone was to lay down a linear dimension, grip the dim text and move it away from the home position. Stretch using a window just on the extension line. the text will move. I don't want it to. If you grip that same dimension, & use the grip point to move the extension line, the text will remain where it was.

Since I need to stretch using a window selection, I am having this issue.

I'm running '07. The text moved when I grabbed the whole ext. line, but not when I grabbed just the bottom of it. I just quickly tested it in '08 with the same results. By just grabbing the bottom of the dim line, the text stays where I put it.

Again, however, I'm not sure how it will work in DB's, but try it. Grab just the lower portion of the extension line, where the node is, and see if it works.

jaberwok
2008-02-09, 06:28 PM
Ah. DBs. Pass.

wroebuck
2008-02-11, 05:36 PM
I'm running '07. The text moved when I grabbed the whole ext. line, but not when I grabbed just the bottom of it. I just quickly tested it in '08 with the same results. By just grabbing the bottom of the dim line, the text stays where I put it.

Again, however, I'm not sure how it will work in DB's, but try it. Grab just the lower portion of the extension line, where the node is, and see if it works.

I have but it is not a solution for me. I just created a new dim style where the home is in an alternate position. That way the dimensions act the way I want. Thanks for the help.

Ah. DBs. Pass.

Wow...that statement speaks volumes in multiple ways.

wroebuck
2008-06-27, 08:41 PM
Just to see if anyone still has figured out a way to get dim text to stay away from the home position when an extension line is stretched?

jaberwok
2008-06-28, 12:59 PM
I just checked again in 09 and the text remains away from the home position whether I use stretch or grip editing to move the extension line.
What is your value for DIMTMOVE ? Mine is 2.

(and I still don't use DBs. :-) )