PDA

View Full Version : PN, sheets and views...

g.ryall
2008-02-21, 02:57 PM
I need to clear these points. I have, wrongly, posted this previously on ACAD general forum and progressed a little but it seems I should be posting here. I apologise if you have seen this before.

Would someone say whether I am understanding correctly please?

1 sheets are .dwg files

2 views are .dwg files

3 a view is x-reffed onto a sheet; it does not need or use a viewport.

4 a layout - as shown by a layout tab and viewports which I understand and use - is a way of displaying part of the information which is included in a single .dwg file - although it can have x-refs.

5 can a layout - shown by a tab, be 'transformed' into a sheet?

6 is a viewport actually a special kind of 'internal x-ref'' ?

Comments please?

dzatto
2008-02-21, 03:21 PM
I need to clear these points. I have, wrongly, posted this previously on ACAD general forum and progressed a little but it seems I should be posting here. I apologise if you have seen this before.

Would someone say whether I am understanding correctly please?

1 sheets are .dwg files

2 views are .dwg files

3 a view is x-reffed onto a sheet; it does not need or use a viewport.

4 a layout - as shown by a layout tab and viewports which I understand and use - is a way of displaying part of the information which is included in a single .dwg file - although it can have x-refs.

5 can a layout - shown by a tab, be 'transformed' into a sheet?

6 is a viewport actually a special kind of 'internal x-ref'' ?

Comments please?

I'll see if I can answer some of your questions. I don't know all of them, though. :?

1.Yes, sheets are saved as .dwg files. They contain Xref's only (or should IMO). Basically, you draw in your construct and elements, Xref that into a view to annotate and dimension, then Xref the view into a sheet for plotting.

2. Yes, views are saved as .dwg files.

3. Correct, a view is Xef'd onto a sheet. It doesn't use a viewport in the view drawing, but when Xref'd to the sheet, it creates a viewport when you insert it since the border is in paper space, and the Xref'f model will be in model space.

4. Layouts don't really have Xref's. The Xref is in model space. Layouts, as far as I know, only provide a "window" into the model space environment (through viewports). You can have multiple layouts with multiple viewports in a single .dwg file. I used to do my plans like that prior to using PN. With PN, a layout is created with the sheet name. A viewport is added with each view that you insert. The sheet file only has / needs one layout.

5. That's a good question. I'm not sure it can be done since a sheet is more than just a layout. The sheet has different model space views Xref'd into it. Since a layout is just a viewport that looks into model space, I don't know that it would work. I'll check into that one.

6. I don't think a viewport is a kind of Xref. It's a window that links model to paper space. Nothing is technically Xref'd into the drawing when you use viewports.

I hope that help a little and didn't confuse you even more!!! :beer:

g.ryall
2008-02-21, 03:38 PM
dz...
Thanks for the reply; there is useful stuff there for me to assimilate - but don't expect my questions on this to cease - I know I haven't cracked this yet!

dzatto
2008-02-21, 04:11 PM
dz...
Thanks for the reply; there is useful stuff there for me to assimilate - but don't expect my questions on this to cease - I know I haven't cracked this yet!
Honestly, I just started using PN also. It was confusing to get used to, but now I don't know how I lived without it.

Oh, by the way, there is a forum in AUGI solely for PN. I learned a lot there, plus I bought the Mastering ACA book by Paul Aubin. Lots and lots of helpful info in that book. I'd recommend picking up a copy.

Here's the PN forum link:
http://forums.augi.com/forumdisplay.php?f=395

david_peterson
2008-02-21, 04:35 PM
Along with what Dan has stated about Pauls Book, you can down load his Chapter 5 "Setting up a Project" for free on his website. This will give you great insight on PN.
Also Please note that I've moved this thread to the PN forum.
Thanks and keep the questions coming. :beer:

dzatto
2008-02-21, 05:07 PM
Along with what Dan has stated about Pauls Book, you can down load his Chapter 5 "Setting up a Project" for free on his website. This will give you great insight on PN.
Also Please note that I've moved this thread to the PN forum.
Thanks and keep the questions coming. :beer:
Thanks, David! I would have moved it, but I have an old WWII injury and can't move things........:)

g.ryall
2008-02-21, 05:59 PM
I hope I can beforgiven for reposting an old item.

I found and read 'Sheets Happen!' blog as recomended elsewhere-

I tried to 'import an existing layout' as described therein but find that the model arived with it!

Or am I wrong expecting simply 'the layout' ? And, why am I wrong? Can anyone enlighten me please?

dzatto
2008-02-21, 06:34 PM
I hope I can beforgiven for reposting an old item.

I found and read 'Sheets Happen!' blog as recomended elsewhere-

I tried to 'import an existing layout' as described therein but find that the model arived with it!

Or am I wrong expecting simply 'the layout' ? And, why am I wrong? Can anyone enlighten me please?

Well, I don't know. ;)
What are you trying to import exactly? Just the work that is on paper space?

Basically, the layout is your paper space where you would put your borders and set up sheet sizes, etc. The model space is where you do all your work, annotation, etc. The viewport allows the "paper" to show the "model", so you can plot.

If you are just trying to import your border to use, I would suggest starting a clean template, inserting copying the border you want to use to the layout tab, and saving it as a .dwt template. You can also have different tabs in that template for different sizes, each with a border drawn on paper space. Then, when you start a project, you set it up to ask for a template (rather than defaulting to one). When you choose your .dwt, all the different sizes show up, and you just choose the one you want.

g.ryall
2008-02-21, 07:23 PM
Well, I don't know. ;)
What are you trying to import exactly? Just the work that is on paper space?

Basically, the layout is your paper space where you would put your borders and set up sheet sizes, etc. The model space is where you do all your work, annotation, etc. The viewport allows the "paper" to show the "model", so you can plot.

If you are just trying to import your border to use, I would suggest starting a clean template, inserting copying the border you want to use to the layout tab, and saving it as a .dwt template. You can also have different tabs in that template for different sizes, each with a border drawn on paper space. Then, when you start a project, you set it up to ask for a template (rather than defaulting to one). When you choose your .dwt, all the different sizes show up, and you just choose the one you want.

I am trying to import my title block (paperspace) only (I don't like / need a border around the sheet) using the wizard as recommended.... Following the wizard promps suggests -to me- you can chose your preferred existing drawing, which has the layouts you want, and import them - but that's when the drawing model came as well!

I will investigate your suggestion tho'...

I understand viewports and layout tabs have used them for many years...