PDA

View Full Version : Revit Warnings

ajayholland
2008-03-03, 08:30 PM
I’m working on a file that has multiple warnings that indicate “The room bounding element was not exported into a gbXML file.” - One warning for each (wall) object.

Anyone have an idea how to clear these?

TIA

~AJH

Scott D Davis
2008-03-03, 10:03 PM
Turn on Volumes for rooms before exporting, and make sure the rooms go up to all the "room bounding" elements such as floors above/below.

ajayholland
2008-03-03, 10:29 PM
Scott,

All this was done in the past. Now I just want to clear the warnings. Is it possible?

~AJH

ajayholland
2008-03-03, 10:50 PM
Just for kicks, I turned on “Room Volumes” and exported the file again. The number of errors reported was reduced dramatically, but not eliminated.

To avoid accumulating such errors, I recommend that gbXML exporting be done from a detached or stand-alone file.

~AJH

tomislav.zigo
2008-03-16, 06:39 AM
Are all of your building components acting as the room bounding elements? Revit will even export those that are not in direct contact with the room object as long as they have the room bounding property enabled, and those error messages can be disregarded if your intention is to use those free standing objects as either site or shading components.
You will also see some very good improvements in regard to that issue with 2009.

Tomislav
http://bimology.blogspot.com

lorne.bourdo.152516
2008-03-20, 08:44 PM
Hello,

We have the same warning in our project. It is really slowing the file down. From warning 33-291 are all this same warning. What I'm confused about is, I have no idea what gbXML. Nor do I think we will need to know for this project. So, what I'm lost on is it's giving me a warning for exporting gbXML. I haven't done this. DOes it do this automatically? How do I get rid of these warnings? Thanks,

Lorne

PS-How do I turn on "room volumes"?

lorne.bourdo.152516
2008-03-21, 02:23 PM
Anyone please? My file is soooo slow and it is only 50MB!!

NKramer
2008-03-21, 03:04 PM
To turn on room volumes go to Settings - Room and Area Settings - check the compute room volumes box.

As for how to clear the errors I don't think anybody has come up with a method. The room volumes should help clean some of them though. If you still have several you could try deleting those rooms, export and then redrawing the rooms.

I think that Jay's suggestion of only exporting from a detached file is probably the best way to avoid this problem.

HTH
Nick

lorne.bourdo.152516
2008-03-21, 03:16 PM
The problem is, I don't know what you're talking about when you say exporting. I haven't exported my drawing for anything? I am just using Revit Architecture.

I also put that check box on and still nothing. Still have over 200 warnings :(

Any other ideas? Thanks

Lorne

NKramer
2008-03-21, 04:20 PM
File - Export - gbXML
It generates out room areas/ boundaries for use with other programs.

Apparently someone exported on purpose or on accident at some point and thats what generated those warnings. Its right under the image export so you could have done it on accident without knowing.

Nick

lorne.bourdo.152516
2008-03-21, 04:45 PM
Is there anyway to undo this? If I re export it with this compute volumes checked will it work? Or if I delete all my rooms? Then try to export it? Just curious...Because it is waaay tooo slow at this point.

lorne.bourdo.152516
2008-03-21, 04:50 PM
shoot...I just tried to re-export it. and now I have 233 MORE errors!!! I really need help.

Andre Carvalho
2008-03-21, 05:04 PM
shoot...I just tried to re-export it. and now I have 233 MORE errors!!! I really need help.

I think the ONLY way to get rid of this warnings is to make sure that you have rooms in all your project. To do that, you have to make sure that all of your rooms are perfectly enclosed either by walls or room separation lines. On top of that, you have to create a roof or a floor over your room, to make sure its volume can be calculated. (this can be easily accomplished by creating a huge floor over at a certain height above your walls)

Once it is done, you should be able to re-export to gbxml and the warnings will go away. Then if you don't need rooms, you can delete what you have created and make sure you don't try to export to gbxml ever.

Andre Carvalho

lorne.bourdo.152516
2008-03-21, 07:48 PM
Does this mean I even need rooms in my closets etc? So that every space in my building is calculated?

lorne.bourdo.152516
2008-03-21, 08:14 PM
I think the ONLY way to get rid of this warnings is to make sure that you have rooms in all your project. To do that, you have to make sure that all of your rooms are perfectly enclosed either by walls or room separation lines. On top of that, you have to create a roof or a floor over your room, to make sure its volume can be calculated. (this can be easily accomplished by creating a huge floor over at a certain height above your walls)

Once it is done, you should be able to re-export to gbxml and the warnings will go away. Then if you don't need rooms, you can delete what you have created and make sure you don't try to export to gbxml ever.

Andre Carvalho

Unfortunately this didn't work. What I did was I selected teh entire model, filtered out rooms. Deleted them. Then I went through my project and re-entered all the rooms (including closets). I have all under roofs or floors with the height of my rooms going up to those. Next I went through and exported my file (took forever btw) as gbXML. Then I got 234 more warnings! Yippee...so that didn't work.

What on earth am I missing here?

Andre Carvalho
2008-03-21, 09:08 PM
OK Lorne, it may sound crazy but I just did the the following test here and it worked for me.

I opened a project I have (it is smaller than yours for sure - mine is a house - but the idea is the same). Then I tried to export to gbXML. Since I had no rooms, I got all the gbXML warnings as you had...

Then I went to a 3D view, turned ON the visibility of all my objects, selected all of them and cut them. My file now was empty and all the gbXML warnings are gone. Then you just paste all your model back. The warnings will not come back as long as you don't export it to gbXML and your file will be clean again..

HOWEVER, I had no annotations in my file. So, before trying that, be sure to save a copy of your file, because if you select your file in a 3D view, you are not selecting annotations, just the model... Annotations like sections, callouts will remain, even if you cut your entire model from Revit. Dimensions will be deleted. However, if it works and your gbXML messages are gone, you can open your original file and copy the dimensions from one file to another. It might work.

Just an idea, trying to help you to get rid of these messages and be able to work. Good luck!

Andre Carvalho

lorne.bourdo.152516
2008-03-24, 02:50 PM
OK Lorne, it may sound crazy but I just did the the following test here and it worked for me.

I opened a project I have (it is smaller than yours for sure - mine is a house - but the idea is the same). Then I tried to export to gbXML. Since I had no rooms, I got all the gbXML warnings as you had...

Then I went to a 3D view, turned ON the visibility of all my objects, selected all of them and cut them. My file now was empty and all the gbXML warnings are gone. Then you just paste all your model back. The warnings will not come back as long as you don't export it to gbXML and your file will be clean again..

HOWEVER, I had no annotations in my file. So, before trying that, be sure to save a copy of your file, because if you select your file in a 3D view, you are not selecting annotations, just the model... Annotations like sections, callouts will remain, even if you cut your entire model from Revit. Dimensions will be deleted. However, if it works and your gbXML messages are gone, you can open your original file and copy the dimensions from one file to another. It might work.

Just an idea, trying to help you to get rid of these messages and be able to work. Good luck!

Andre Carvalho

OK I tried this, but it is not allowing me to copy and paste my entire project. It gets an error that there are objects that are locked and can only move in one direction, whereas, there are objects that also are locked in a different direction and can only move in that direction. So it is not liking me. This is really aggrivating. Is there any way to unlock these objects to allow me to copy and past them? Thanks.

Lorne

lorne.bourdo.152516
2008-03-24, 02:55 PM
OK I tried this, but it is not allowing me to copy and paste my entire project. It gets an error that there are objects that are locked and can only move in one direction, whereas, there are objects that also are locked in a different direction and can only move in that direction. So it is not liking me. This is really aggrivating. Is there any way to unlock these objects to allow me to copy and past them? Thanks.

Lorne

Nevermind. I just selected less of my objects and it worked beautifully! I now have 41 errors, not over 300! Thanks so much ANDRE!!

The only flaw in this, is the lineweights we've already spent lots of time one, are no longer there. Other than that it seems to work great.

Andre Carvalho
2008-03-24, 03:28 PM
Nevermind. I just selected less of my objects and it worked beautifully! I now have 41 errors, not over 300! Thanks so much ANDRE!!

The only flaw in this, is the lineweights we've already spent lots of time one, are no longer there. Other than that it seems to work great.

I'm glado to know we are close to solve this gbXML warnings issue. Now to your lineweights, why don't you transfer your project standards from the old file to the new one? (File / Transfer Project Standards...)

Andre Carvalho

lorne.bourdo.152516
2008-03-24, 03:59 PM
I'm glado to know we are close to solve this gbXML warnings issue. Now to your lineweights, why don't you transfer your project standards from the old file to the new one? (File / Transfer Project Standards...)

Andre Carvalho

It's not the objects styles that is the issue. We've done quite a bit of the line work tool. So once you copy and paste an item, the line work is lost. So that's an issue.

Also, i got excited a little too early. I went form over 300 error messages to 47...and my file is still remarkably slow (local file is 39.8MB, it's a home not commercial). I just don't get it. I really notice it when in elevation. No shadows are on and I'm in hidden lines.

Andre Carvalho
2008-03-24, 04:29 PM
Also, i got excited a little too early. I went form over 300 error messages to 47...and my file is still remarkably slow (local file is 39.8MB, it's a home not commercial). I just don't get it. I really notice it when in elevation. No shadows are on and I'm in hidden lines.

Well, at least the undesireble gbXML warnings that were the main subject of the thread were gone. Now to see why the file is too slow may not be directly linked with the warnings. It can bee a lot of different things like:

Do you have too many linked DWG's? Do you have too many families loaded? Any of these families has (or had) a DWG loaded on it? Aren't you "overmodeling" your project (altought 39.8MB isn't a signal that your file has too many modeling on it)? etc...

I remember once one guy here was modeling a family, and loaded a DWG in elevation view into that family. Then he was working later in plan and forgot to go back to the elevation view to delete the imported DWG. Then he loaded the family into the project and used that family everywhere in the building. He just notice that when he was in an elevation view and he notice his file became too slow...

Andre Carvalho