PDA

View Full Version : Detail Component Manager

burchd
2008-03-03, 11:07 PM
I have a couple of questions about basic configuration of the Detail Component Manager.

There are a fue things which people want to change, globally which would make things more usefull for them. I am concerned that these are not such simple changes.

I thought that I would ask in this forum and see if anyone had tips in that regard...

1) Changes to hatches on certain material types. Using CMU for instance, my guys would like to see CMU sections showing a Line hatch rather than a cross hatch. They want to have it slightly smaller than the same hatch for brick. Is there a spot where you can change all of one material type from one section representation to another. This is similar to Walls, where materials can be assigned.

2) Given that we have 7 layers to work with in details, is it possible to change components from one layer, say Medium, to Thick. I have seen the layer key adjustment, but that is going to mean doing every component in the database, and that seems to be alot of work.

Thankyou in Advance.

cholmes
2008-03-05, 03:25 PM
As far as the hatch patterns, look for a file called AecDtlComponents (US).mdb
It is basically a database file that you will need to have Microsoft access to edit. We have ours on the network, but I think the normal location is in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Autodesk\ACD-A 2008\enu\Details\Details (US)

When you first open this file, look for a section called "Hatches" (it's at the end of the list) and open it. This contains all of the hatches used. It's pretty straightforward. the Alias column is what it is, and the hatch column is obviously the hatch pattern. Simply put in the name of the pattern you want to use, and adjust the scale if needed. Save the file and your done, it should work right away. It doesn't change existing objects in your drawings, but if you add objects, the new ones will be right. If it doesn't work, you may be set up to look at a different location for that file, like on the network. If so, change that one instead.

For the layer keys, it is possible, but a little more work. In the same location as you found the datebase file above, you will see several folders representing the different groups. If you go into one of these folders, you will see several .xml files for all of the different components. Basically, these are the commands to build the pieces (which gets it's size info from the database) Working with these should be done carefully, you don't want to change the way they are working.
It will take some detective work, but you will eventually figure out what is going on. Open one of the files (I usually open it in notepad because I don't have an .xml editor). Looking through the fille you will find places that say something like <Layer ref="layerKey">THIN</Layer>
The word thin is the part you would want to change to something else (another layerkey) There are usually several locations of this in the command for different components. Some of them are pretty obvious, but others may take you a few times to find the right one.
when done, just save the file and try your component to see if it worked.

Hopefully this all makes sense! I should add, it wouldn't hurt to back up any files you will be editing, just in case!

mclark.235191
2009-11-20, 03:48 PM
Are you able to apply created hatches to the detail components. Example we do not like using cross hatch for Rigid Insulation and our office has created its own hatch. Am I capable of applying that hatch pattern and how?

Thank you