PDA

View Full Version : Easily managable cut planes

kevin.bell.72378
2008-03-10, 04:40 PM
Description: Cut planes which can be easily changed and set up

How Used: Rather than setting the cut plane in the display configuration it would be great to be able to have a cut plane tool which allows the user to select areas of the drawing and set its cut plane.

It see this rather like the plot command and how the user pick a window to plot. So a user would select areas of the drawing and set their cut plane, this would also allow multiple cut planes in one display config.

Feature Affinity: Cut planes

Example:

For instance, I have just completed a large project which had a site with about 20 buildings (some were duplicates though), the main building was a terrace of about 8 buildings, the terrace was on a sloping site do broadly each building was 1 metre lower than the other.

The nightmare thing was setting the cut planes of the buildings and teaching everyone hwo to use them - so that the view drawing would show all of the buildings in the terrace together at the correct cut height (1.4m above floor level of each building).

I had to set up the display config cut plane for Ground floor, first floor, stair construct etc etc.

Took ages...

kevin.bell.72378
2008-03-10, 04:41 PM
damn - forgot to add a poll - perhaps you admin chaps can do this??

david_peterson
2008-03-10, 06:36 PM
I'm not sure if this would have helped, but you can set up dislpay config overrides. I haven't played with these to much so I don't know if this would have helped. I just wanted to let you know that there is an option for.

kevin.bell.72378
2008-03-11, 08:50 AM
I'm not sure if this would have helped, but you can set up dislpay config overrides. I haven't played with these to much so I don't know if this would have helped. I just wanted to let you know that there is an option for.

David - this is exactly what I do currently, but its a blunt edged sword which takes a while to set up, and can be a real pain when having to set it up for multiple constructs.

The other problem is that its connected to the display config, and so if you want to use high detail, low detail and medium detail with a different cut plane you have to set it up three times.

Other other day I had to explain to a friend who was drawing up his holiday apartment (which is on a sloping site) how cut planes work - due to the small nature of the building (a couple of rooms) we could not get an ideal cut plane which would display the plan as we wanted.

At a basic level I would like the cut plane to be part of an objects properties - i.e. just click on a door and set the cut level...

sgoodmansen
2008-04-01, 05:42 AM
I came here to add this wish. I'm glad you already did so, so I don't have to do any of the typing myself.

Cut Planes are a serious pain point. This needs to be much easier than it is now.

Steve

gdaniels
2008-04-01, 06:22 PM
I'd like a simplified cut plane option that intersects all walls regardless of their elevation and always cuts the openings. Sure there would be limitations if openings are above each other but if/when you need to deal with this you would be able to switch back to the full/existing cut plane functionality.

Cheers,