PDA

View Full Version : My template needs a diet

mzabritski
2008-03-24, 11:11 PM
What is everyone doing with their project templates? I was just watching a screencast of one of the AU 07 classes and the presenter said that their template got up to 5MB and they thought THAT was too big, so they reduced it. I've loaded some of what we consider the basics, and ours is now up to 12MB and growing. I've done all of the "SAVE AS" tricks mentioned here, but its still 12MB (it was even bigger before that).

Whats the best way to store items outside of the template? Take walls for example. If I have all of my walls defined in another file, does everyone find that using TRANSFER PROJECT SETTINGS works ok for a typical end user? Or would inserting the file as a group work better? What other ways is everyone using to bring large amounts of outside families into new projects?

twiceroadsfool
2008-03-24, 11:15 PM
We set up container files in a QA location that then get loaded in as Groups. This way we can also set up typical views of such elements as embedded detail groups...

d.stairmand
2008-03-25, 02:26 PM
We have a "Master.rvt" File on the Main Server. It Contains all our System Families - its about 10mb. The Users generally open this up & Cut & Paste into there project which ever system family they want.

Our Template generally only has a limited 5-10 Wall styles typically generic. they vary mostly on there outer surface materials.
This way the user dosent have to be accurate with all the System Families at the beginning of the project & they can swap them out later on in the process, with the more accurate Building Elements.

jcoe
2008-03-25, 03:10 PM
I have our template file at about 4.5 megs. I only have our standard tags and tileblocks loaded into the template to keep the size low. Everything else is system families. I have also pre-defined about 20 schedules that work with how we schedule our data and have customized our project browser.

jcoe
2008-03-25, 03:10 PM
We set up container files in a QA location that then get loaded in as Groups. This way we can also set up typical views of such elements as embedded detail groups...

Aaron, could you elaborate on your container files and give examples of how they are used. This seems like an interesting approach and one I have not considered.

twiceroadsfool
2008-03-25, 03:23 PM
Hey jason-

Checking out your sig... Looks like youve moved since we talked last. :)

The contaner file methodology works well... When you consider that you can make a model group, and embed a detail group in it... There is a lot of potential for saving repetitive details inside your system familes.

We dont use legends for Partition schedules, since the legend views have limitations... So for instance, if i save all of the standard partitions i a container file (model group saved t file) i can also embed the detail group of the partition schedule, which we make out of a callout on a floor plan in a future phase.

Now when i bring in the file as a group, i can use the Place Detai feature before i ungroup, to bring in all my annotations for the partition schedule...

You setting up new standards at Ashley? Or have they implemented awhile back?

jcoe
2008-03-25, 07:20 PM
Aaron,

Yes, I'm currently implementing Revit and standards at AMA and I have to say that it is a much longer process that I remember it.

The grouping sounds promising, but I have already implemented something similar except we are using detail files where you load the views into your project. Grouping is definitely something I'll test and consider using in the future, though. Thanks for the description.

We'll have to meet up at Clarks for lunch some time.

twiceroadsfool
2008-03-25, 08:54 PM
Definetely! I walk by it every day on my lunch break.

We can talk shop :)