PDA

View Full Version : Are there any way to delete all Imported Objects (dwg's)

johk
2008-03-31, 02:11 AM
Hi,

I imported some details etc from the another project. When I imported those details I also got a lot of the dwg backgrounds that were used to create the details (I know will fix up the details so it doesn't happen again). Are there a way to delete unused Imported Objects? Say any dwg file that are not imported in to a view.

Thanks
Jonas

Andre Carvalho
2008-03-31, 03:09 AM
Jonas,

If when you imported the DWG you also linked it, you can go to the "File" menu, "Manage Links", select the DWG that you imported and don't want anymore and click "Remove". All the selected DWG will be erased from all you views.

If when you imported them you didn't link, then you have to select them and delete manually. Note that when you delete a DWG from one view, if it is also showing in another view, it will also be deleted. If you just want to get rid of part of the DWG, you can select it and click on "Delete Layers" button. It will show you a list of layer to select and delete. Or, when you select the DWG, you can click on "Query" and then visually select the entity you don't want and just hide from the view or delete from Revit.

I didn't understand when you say "delete DWGs that aren't imported into a view". If the DWG isn't showing in any view, then, or you haven't imported it or the visibility for imported objects on these view is turned off.

Andre Carvalho

johk
2008-03-31, 04:04 AM
I imported (drafting views) some standard details that I have in a separate "project". The standard details have all been based on dwg files which have been "partially exploded".
I imported to many of them so I delete the drafting views I didn't need but I can still see the dwg file in Object Styles/ Imported Objects. The dwg files were never linked in to the "detail project".
I am fairly certain that I don't have the dwg files in any other views as they only showed up in Styles/ Imported Objects after I imported the drafting views. As a test I delete all my drafting views - did a Purge All and they are still in Object Styles/ Imported Objects.

When I select an imported object under Object Styles the delete option is greyed out but I can delete the layers/sub categories.

Another question: When I create my Standards details and after I have imported my dwg I partially explode it to tidy it up. After it has been partially exploded is there any way you can remove the imported dwg file? As it has been partially exploded you can't select it and delete it. Please see attached file where I have imported a dwg file and partially exploded it.
I hope it all makes sense.

Thanks

Jonas

Andre Carvalho
2008-03-31, 02:24 PM
I imported (drafting views) some standard details that I have in a separate "project". The standard details have all been based on dwg files which have been "partially exploded".
I imported to many of them so I delete the drafting views I didn't need but I can still see the dwg file in Object Styles/ Imported Objects. The dwg files were never linked in to the "detail project".
I am fairly certain that I don't have the dwg files in any other views as they only showed up in Styles/ Imported Objects after I imported the drafting views. As a test I delete all my drafting views - did a Purge All and they are still in Object Styles/ Imported Objects.

When I select an imported object under Object Styles the delete option is greyed out but I can delete the layers/sub categories.

Another question: When I create my Standards details and after I have imported my dwg I partially explode it to tidy it up. After it has been partially exploded is there any way you can remove the imported dwg file? As it has been partially exploded you can't select it and delete it. Please see attached file where I have imported a dwg file and partially exploded it.
I hope it all makes sense.

Thanks

Jonas

Jonas,

When you "Explode" a DWG file into Revit, all its nested elements (blocks, X-Refs, etc...) will become Revit elements and therefore you have no DWG file imported anymore. You can check then at Settings / Object Styles / Imported Objects to see if there's styles remainig from the DWG. If you have, you can select them (one by one, go figure...) and delete. However, if you still see object styles from a DWG and it is showing the DWG name above all of them, you have to check your views, because you still have a DWG file imported int your project.

When you "Partially Explode" a DWG file into Revit, it will make the entire imported DWG to "release" its nested elements (blocks, x-refs, etc..) into single elements. You can keep partially exploding them or exploding them until you have no DWG remaining and all have become Revit elements. Again, check your Object Styles to see if there's any DWG remaining.

I hope it helps,

Andre Carvalho

johk
2008-04-08, 10:35 PM
Hi,
I understand what you are saying but the problem is when you do a partial explode it still leaves some traces of the original imported dwg which can be a pain to find. I read somewhere that when importing or creating standard details in Revit from AutoCAD details it is best to do a partial explode. From my trail and errors I find that it is better to do a full explode because then you will not have any traces of the original imported dwg file in the Object Style browser.

Jonas

Scott Womack
2008-04-18, 05:08 PM
I have been told by some of the insiders at the Factory, that if you partially, or completely explode an AutoCAD file, there is no way to clear, purge, or eliminate the original AutoCAD file defition from the Revit file. Your file is just increased by that amount. I tried it on a brand new project, and never was able to get the file size back down to the "Pre-exploded state, evenafter manually tracking every Autocad based entity down and manually eliminating it.