PDA

View Full Version : Mechanical Layer and Example

chill3490
2004-09-03, 02:24 PM
Brenda, I see you made the trip from the AutoCAD group (we're now back in Kansas) - Wizard of Oz

Not yet :Oops: Because we haven't upgraded everyone to mechanical yet, I haven't been using alot of the tools that are available -- and before I can roll it out to others, I need to understand it myself -- which means I need time to play, which fortunately or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it, I don't have -- sigh

Automatic Layer Management - it's a really good thing!!
For your edification, I recommend going to Mechanical Help and type in layers. In a sterile, and digital format it will give you the details.

For a real world example, take the wonderful construction line utilities.

Mechanical layer AM_CL

All of Mechanical's construction lines will be automatically placed on Mechanical layer AM_CL (CL for Construction Line) ...always.

All can be erased with a touch of a button, individually manipulated ( trimmed, moved, copied, etc.)
They can be turned off or on (with a special dedicated toolbar button) without going to the layer window.
There's a plethora of construction line options in the toolbars and dialog boxes for your 2D drawing pleasure.
AND we haven't even gotten to all of Mechanical's wonderful dimension utilities, shaft generator, 2D FEA..... It's not 2D drawing Nirvana, but it's as close as you can get without chemical assistance.

Toward a drug-free world!

BrenBren
2004-09-03, 02:36 PM
Thanks Clint. I am going to check this out. One small step at a time is what it is going to take, I think. My biggest issue right now, and I am not sure which way I want to address it, is the way the layers are going to print. Right now, dimensions are done in yellow. In mechanical, it defaults to green. It is easy enough to change the ctb file, so I must just specify that all dims are in green, regardless of whether you are working in mechanical or vanilla. Or, I might have separate ctbs, or I might alter the standard colors in mechanical.

I just have to decide on my best course of action. I guess dimensions are a good place to start, huh :)

chill3490
2004-09-03, 04:25 PM
It can tell you this:

Most things Mechanically-related can be reconfigured with a wee bit of consultation with the help system, Autodesk Subscription Technical Support, or other reliable sources.

The dimension styles are plain old AutoCAD with all the POWER of Mechanical using its Dim. routines.

Layer Names
One thing that is new (2004 & up anyway) and I have verified this with Autodesk, is that you can rename the 'standard' layer names i.e. AM_0, AM_3, etc., to suit your company standards. This was not recommended in Mech 2000. You must go through the OPTIONS dialog to do this

Annotation and Mech.'s Sizes
One thing that cannot be changed is the text sizes associated with Mechanical's annotation toolbar. These are of a rough English equivalent size and are OK if you can live with them; .120 text instead of .125, etc.

Most things I find hunkty dory, though!

jerry.runnels
2004-09-16, 12:41 PM
Annotation and Mech.'s Sizes
One thing that cannot be changed is the text sizes associated with Mechanical's annotation toolbar. These are of a rough English equivalent size and are OK if you can live with them; .120 text instead of .125, etc.

Which Annotation toolbar are you talking about. There are only two in Mech2k5, one in AMPP menu group and one in AMFLY. Neither has any text or sizes. Are you maybe referring to the Text selection under the Annotate Menu?